We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

walking in the black forest

Perth Australia
Level Contributor
483 posts
70 reviews
Save Topic
walking in the black forest

Hello all

I read on another post that when in Freiburg if its hot you could go for a walk in the black forest. Is it on the edge of town itself or do you take a tram or bus to get there? Id love to explore the old town, churches, historical buildings and also walk in the forest. Can someone please give me an idea of a plan to do this. Im happy to stay for a night and spend the two days there. I will be coming from Saint Louis so how do I get there? Do I go to Basel and then get the train to Freiburg. I could also stay in Saint Louis as I have some lovely inexpensive accommodation there and travel to Freiburg for the day and back. Ill try and find out the cost on the railway web site

thank you

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
38,552 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: walking in the black forest

Black Forest is a 150 km long low mountain range. Not a single forest.

…wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c/cd/Schwar…

Freiburg is at the foot of the Black Forest and you can hike up right from the city centre. But for this I would not travel to Freiburg.

http://www.freiburg.de/pb/,Len/225797.html

You can travel from Basel straight to the heights of the Black Forest.

http://www.blackforesthighlands.info/

http://www.blackforest-tourism.com/wandern

DB timetable

http://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query.exe/en

Start: St-Louis(Haut Rhin)

You can travel by a train + bus combination to the Feldberg, the highest peak of the Black Forest. Hourly connections.

Destination: Feldbergerhof (1250m), Feldberg (Schwarzwald)

And of course also to Freiburg (278m)

Destination: Freiburg(Breisgau) Hbf

and select as means of transport "only local transport".

A good deal for this is a Baden-Württemberg Ticket. A day ticket covering all regional trains in the German state Baden-Württemberg and also from Basel Bad Bf and Basel SBB train stations. Inside Baden-Württemberg the ticket covers nearly all other local public transport as well. Like the buses from Zell to Feldbergerhof. Or the trams and city buses in Freiburg.

https:/…laender-ticket.shtml

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
38,552 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: walking in the black forest

You could even do a loop: Basel - Zell - Feldbergerhof - Titisee - Freiburg - Basel

Perth Australia
Level Contributor
483 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: walking in the black forest

Hi Abalada

Are you suggesting that this loop could all be done in the one day? Do I buy a ticket first from St Louis to Basel and then the Baden ticket in Basel?

thank you

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
38,552 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: walking in the black forest

> Are you suggesting that this loop could all be done in the one day?

The loop as such surely. How much time you have for walking/hiking and sightseeing in Freiburg is something else. If you stay longer in St. Louis you can make of course 2 separate day trips.

> Do I buy a ticket first from St Louis to Basel and then the Baden ticket in Basel?

Yes. Albeit you can buy the Baden-Württemberg Ticket through the given link also online.

Perth Australia
Level Contributor
483 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: walking in the black forest

It looks great. Im just looking up the places as I couldnt find them on the map. I love the idea of a swim in the lake at Zell if its a hot day too. Any nasty things with big teeth in there? If i buy the ticket on line where does the ticket actually cover me from as St Louis is of course in France and Basel in Switzerland. Is there a nearer german train station that I can get to to start the journey?

We may of course get to Freiburg and find it hard to leave there as there will be so much to see for the day but as you say we could always do another trip

Thank you

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
38,552 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: walking in the black forest

> If i buy the ticket on line where does the ticket actually cover me from as St Louis is of course in France and Basel in Switzerland.

map showing the railway lines/stations covered by a Baden-Württemberg Ticket

bahn.de/regional/view/mdb/pv/deutschlanderle…

Covered are all shown stations besides the ones in grey.

> Is there a nearer german train station that I can get to to start the journey?

Weil am Rhein is opposite of St. Louis. But no idea if there is a bus line connecting both.

network map Weil am Rhein

rvl-online.de/fileadmin/user_upload/Verbundg…

> Any nasty things with big teeth in there?

No. Lake Titisee and Lake Schluchsee are also options.

Perth Australia
Level Contributor
483 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: walking in the black forest

thats a great map thank you.

Freiburg im...
Level Contributor
2,655 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: walking in the black forest

"a swim in the lake at Zell "

There's neither a lake in Zell, nor is there a bus connecting St.Louis and Weil am Rhein. But there are frequent trains between St. Louis and Basel SBB station, wherefrom the BW-ticket is valid.

Karlsruhe, Germany
Destination Expert
for Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
10,073 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: walking in the black forest

That Zell with the lake is in Austria, not in the Black Forest. That would be quite a hike...

The one mentioned here is named Zell im Wiesental. Also not to be confused with Zell am Harmersbach which is in the Northern Black Forest.

10. Re: walking in the black forest

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, February 02, 2014