We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travelling from Freiburg im Breisgau to Memmingen (by bus?)

Kildare, Ireland
Level Contributor
2 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Travelling from Freiburg im Breisgau to Memmingen (by bus?)

Hi. I'm travelling to the Black Forest area in July. I intend to fly to Frankfurt, and take the train to Freiburg im Breisgau for some hiking in the area, stopping off along the way for a couple of nights in Heidelberg and Baden Baden. On return, rather than retracing my steps back along main rail lines to Frankfurt, I would like to extend my touring across the South of the area to Memmingen and get a return flight from there. I don't like to drive. Trains seem to travel North and then South, so I'm wondering can I travel in this area by bus and have a few nice stop offs on the way to Memmingen? Thanks in advance!

Karlsruhe, Germany
Destination Expert
for Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
9,952 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Travelling from Freiburg im Breisgau to Memmingen (by bus?)

No bus, but there is a train route in east-western direction through the Black Forest, the so-called Höllental (Hell valley), from Freiburg to Donaueschingen and Singen, where you connect to the route along Bodensee (Lake of Constance). Very scenic, and lots of places to see along the way.

Gold Bar, Washington
Level Contributor
584 posts
232 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travelling from Freiburg im Breisgau to Memmingen (by bus?)

reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query.exe/d

put in baden-baden and then Memmingen or whatever towns you are interested in and transportation connections will show. It transportation is not limited to trains

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Stuttgart, Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
14,788 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travelling from Freiburg im Breisgau to Memmingen (by bus?)

First, there is no such bus as long distance transportation in Germany is almost always train.

A nice train route between the two will be through the idyllic gorge of the Danube River ( www.donaubergland.de only in German) through the Swabian Alb ( www.schwaebischealb.de ) with lots of castles and palaces perched atop the cliffs. There is an excellent castle/palace at Sigmaringen ( www.hollernzollern.com ). Ulm ( www.ulm.de ) is also on this route and has the cathedral with the world's highest church spire, climbable if desired. If www.bahn.de doesn't show you this route, enter via Sigmaringen.

You can use the Baden-Wuerttemberg day train ticket between Freiburg and for 19€ single and 28€ for a group of 2-5 people. It includes all buses, trams, U-bahns, S-bahns and regional trains in Baden-Wuerttemberg and to some places slightly beyond its borders such as Memmingen in Bavaria. It does not include using the fast long-distance IC, EC and ICE trains. Since Memmingen is in Bavaria, the bus from that train station to the airport is not included on this ticket. You can see what the travel options are using this ticket by clicking on "use only local transportation". Don't worry if they don't show the fare for this special ticket, you will be fine as long as you go via Ulm.

Edited: 2:22 am, April 16, 2010
Dublin
Level Contributor
914 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travelling from Freiburg im Breisgau to Memmingen (by bus?)

Bus ticket from Memmingen to airport is only €2.50 and it only takes about 15 minutes.

Kildare, Ireland
Level Contributor
2 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travelling from Freiburg im Breisgau to Memmingen (by bus?)

Thanks a lot to all. Holiday extended!

6. Re: Travelling from Freiburg im Breisgau to Memmingen (by bus?)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, October 15, 2010