We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

december weather in the black forest

Which Baden-Baden hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
706 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
december weather in the black forest

would like to visit baden baden and freiberg in the black forest area in december is it very cold and rainy?

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
36,889 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: december weather in the black forest

Freiburg and Baden-Baden are cities with the warmest climate in Germany.

www.weatheronline.co.uk/Germany/Freiburg.htm

and see under "History"

Something else in the hihger regions of the Black Forest.

www.weatheronline.co.uk/cgi-bin/regframe…

Rainy? It can always rain in Germany. Most rain will fall (statistically) in July.

Level Contributor
706 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: december weather in the black forest

to abalada: thanks a million for your reply i feel much better about the weather.

Canada
Level Contributor
79 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: december weather in the black forest

www.weatheronline.co.uk/weather/maps/city…

----

I will be in Germany for the first week in December, 2009. Based on this chart the temperature was between 10°C and 18°C for 2008.

Is this quite normal?

I will leave my winter parka at home if this is the case.

Canada
Level Contributor
79 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: december weather in the black forest

some questions for staying in the Black Forest area in December.

what can I expect typically for weather?

I would like to hike the Black Forest trails. Should i expect snow in the higher elevations?

Between Freiburg, Baden Baden or Triberg...which would typically offer me the warmest weather for the first week of December.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
6,678 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: december weather in the black forest

I have been in the BF around that time. I was there for a week about 10 years ago (Schluchsee) , and another week 2 years ago (Bad Teinach/Zavelstein).

I recall it being cool but not unbearably cold. There was a little snow on the ground, but it did not snow when I was there. There were a few days of sun, and a few days of clouds/drizzle. But it was fine and quite atmospheric. You certainly could go for walks, just watch your footing on hilly areas. Bring umbrella, just in case.

Freiberg and Baden-Baden may be a bit better. You may very well be indoors at spas in Baden-Baden (you should be, anyway) so there the weather is somewhat less important.

Karlsruhe, Germany
Destination Expert
for Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
9,477 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: december weather in the black forest

December temperatures can be anything from -10°C to +18°C, most likely temperatures will be in the range between 0° and 10°, below 0° at night. From sunshine to rain, black ice and snowfall everything is possible. Most probably you'll get a bit of everything.

Forget those weather statistics. Every year is different.

As for hiking, there may be snow and ice. More likely there will be a lot of mud. Bring appropriate hiking boots that are waterproof. Bring a rainproof winter jacket, scarf, gloves and hat.

By the way, instruction01, Freiberg is in Saxony, not in the Black Forest. In case you plan to book train tickets, remember that the city's name is Freiburg, otherwise there may be a surprise for you...

Karlsruhe, Germany
Destination Expert
for Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
9,477 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: december weather in the black forest

Argh. I just noticed that the original post was written in 2006...

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Stuttgart, Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
14,361 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: december weather in the black forest

Temperatures are partially elevation dependent, and much lower Freiburg (usually Germany's warmest city) and Baden-Baden will certainly be warmer than Triberg which is up in the mountains. As to dress, in Germany at any time of year, think layers. The weather will probably be what I would call fairly cool to cold, always be prepared for rain at any time of year, and it may be raining in those lower cities when it's snowing in Triberg.

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
36,889 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: december weather in the black forest

> I will be in Germany for the first week in December, 2009. Based on this chart the temperature was between 10°C and 18°C for 2008.

The chart you linked was for November and December. And it was above 10 °C only at the begin of November.

And these are peak temperatures only. Around noon. Esp. in the morning and evening it can be a lot of fresher.

Baden-Baden and Freiburg are in the Upper Rhine Valley, only at the foot of the Black Forest.

If you go higher up into the Black Forest it may look totally different.

You may sit in Baden-Baden in an outdoor cafe and in the radio they tell you that on the Black Forest High Road (partly still on the soil of the community Baden-Baden) lorries must use snow chains now.

Canada
Level Contributor
79 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: december weather in the black forest

mucho appreciatto