We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

summer break at bad liebenzell, eurocamp

Which Baden-Baden hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Staffordshire
Level Contributor
7 posts
67 reviews
Save Topic
summer break at bad liebenzell, eurocamp

We are flying to germany then hiring a car for a week in august with 2 boys aged 14 & 10. could anyone give us some advice as what to see and do whilst we are there?

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Stuttgart, Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
14,455 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: summer break at bad liebenzell, eurocamp

As Bad Liebenzell ( www.bad-liebenzell.de ) is in the northern Black Forest ( www.schwarzwald-tourismus.info ) there is a lot to do around there. There are the mineral baths there. By Neubulach is an old silver mine that can be visited, something your whole family should enjoy. Germany's premier amusement park isn't too far away for a day trip, Europa Park by Rust, www.europapark.de . For a large city, Stuttgart ( www.stuttgart-tourist.de ) is nearby with the excellent Mercedes Benz Museum which the whole family will enjoy ( www.mercedes-benz.com/museum ), the world's first modern TV tower from 1956 which has an observation platform ( www.fernsehturm-stuttgart.de ), and Wilhelma ( www.wilhelma.de ) which is Europe's largest combined zoo-botanical garden. Hoehenpark Killesberg in Stuttgart has a nice double helix tower which can climbed for what I believe are the best views of Stuttgart. The Museum am Loewentor is excellent for the local dinosaur and Ice Age fossils, and also has a nice collection of all types of creatures imbedded in amber. Prehistoric Museum Hauff in Holzmaden to the east is another excellent museum with the local dinosaur fossils from the quarries there in which you can also collect fossils.

A short distance east of Stuttgart is Esslingen ( www.esslingen.de ) with its excellent well preserved medieval center. A short distance north of Stuttgart is Germany's largest perfectly preserved (all original, not a 1950s rebuild like so many others) Baroque palace at Ludwigsburg with its tourable royal chambers, four excellent museums, extensive gardens including a fairytale one, and two smaller associated palaces sert in a deer park (several days to see it all).

South of Stuttgart and east of Bad Liebenzell are many excellent places to visit, such as the old college town of Tuebingen ( www.tuebingen.de ) with its hilly cobblestone streets, and they do punting on the Neckar River there like at Oxford and Canbridge. Just to the north of Tuebingen is the excellent well preserved monastery Bebenhausen (also in www.schloesser-und.gaerten.de ). To the south of Tuebingen is a great fairytale-like castle, Hohenzollern ( www.burg-hohenzollern.com ) which is by Hechingen which also has a Roman farmhouse ruins. Another great fairytale-like castle is Schloss Lichtenstein east of Reutlingen ( wwww.schloss-lichtenstein.de ). Nearby it is the Bear's Cave and also the Traumland Amusement Park ( www.sonnenbuehl.de) . There is also a summer bobsled ride near there. Slightly further east is Germany's oldest state stables, Marbach (Gomadingen) ( www.gestuet-marbach.de ) where you can visit the magnificent stallions in their stalls and the mares and colts will be out in the fields. If you continue on down on the Gross Lauter River, one of Germany's highest concentrations of castle ruins will be present, and you can also canoe of this placid idyllic river ( www.kanutouren.com ). There are also some lovely Baroque churches such as Zwiefalten at the former monastery there, lovely Baroque monasteries such as Obermarchtal, and lovely Baroque Palaces such as Schloss Mochental by where the Grosse Lauter River runs into the Danube. North of Zwiefalten between there and Hayingen is Friedrichshoehle (Friedrichs Cave) which must be entered by boat. Blaubeuren with its excellent former monastery church, and the Blautopf (blue pool, the flooded entrance of a large cave system) is also in this area. Other nice places to vist closer to Stuttgart and also Tuebingen on the Schwaebische Alb (this region with its numerous limstone caves and castles, www.schwaebischealb.de) include the large castle ruins at Hohenneuffen (also in www.schloesser-und-gaerten.de), the lovely valley town of Bad Urach ( www.badurach.de ) with another castle ruins and nearby waterfall, and also Metzingen, ( www.metzingen.de ) with Germany's largest factory outlets.

The best preserved medieval monastery north of the Alps is north of Pforzheim and Bad Liebenzell, Maulbronn, in www.schloesser-und-gaerten.de which has many other excellent places to visit operated by the state of Baden-Wuerttemberg.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
14,455 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: summer break at bad liebenzell, eurocamp

To continue, the large Celtic prince's burial mound and museum in Hochdorf an der Enz between Stuttgart and Vaihingen an der Enz is fairly close to Bad Liebenzell.

There is also an animal park in Pforzheim and several others fairly close. There is a jewelry museum in Pforzheim, and it's Germany's jewelry center.

The Ritter chocolate museums in Waldenbuch between Stuttgart and Tuebingen is a great place to visit for the chocolate aroma over the town, and their museum of art in the form of squares (their Ritter SPORT candy bar shape) is interesting and enjoyable. Some of the art moves. They have a discount sales room also as well as a small museum on the manufacture of chocolate.

One thing I definitely suggest is spending the 7.50 euros on Map #24 in the Shell large scale map series of Germany as it will be one of the best investments you have ever made. There are years worth of interesting places to visit on it, the sights are I believe accurately rated, and it's all that's needed to have an enjoyable vacation. You can make nice day trips visiting the places that interest you along the way. Even places not rated can be excellent to visit. I've only mentioned a few places that I have mostly visited and like, there are hundreds more, and I have largely neglected the Black Forest.

You should have an interesting, enjoyable vacation.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
14,455 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: summer break at bad liebenzell, eurocamp

To add, the Shell map should be available at any Shell gas station.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
14,455 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: summer break at bad liebenzell, eurocamp

I've redone my first post so that the website links work, and also added a few others, and also have made a few minor renditions and additions.

As Bad Liebenzell ( www.bad-liebenzell.de ) is in the northern Black Forest ( www.schwarzwald-tourismus.info ) there is a lot to do around there. There are the mineral baths there. By Neubulach is an old silver mine that can be visited, something your whole family should enjoy. Germany's premier amusement park isn't too far away for a day trip, Europa Park by Rust, www.europapark.de .

For a large city, Stuttgart ( www.stuttgart-tourist.de ) is nearby with the excellent Mercedes Benz Museum which the whole family will enjoy ( www.mercedes-benz.com/museum ), the world's first modern TV tower from 1956 which has an observation platform ( www.fernsehturm-stuttgart.de ), and Wilhelma ( www.wilhelma.de ) which is Europe's largest combined zoo-botanical garden set amidst the nice Moorish architecture of this former palace. Hoehenpark Killesberg in Stuttgart has a nice double helix tower which can climbed for what I believe are the best views of Stuttgart. The Museum am Loewentor ( www.naturkundemuseum-bw.de/stuttgart ) is excellent for the local dinosaur and Ice Age fossils, and also has a nice collection of all types of creatures imbedded in amber. Prehistoric Museum Hauff in Holzmaden to the east is another excellent museum with the local dinosaur fossils from the quarries there in which you can also collect fossils.

A short distance east of Stuttgart is Esslingen ( www.esslingen.de ) with its excellent well preserved medieval center. A short distance north of Stuttgart is Germany's largest perfectly preserved (all original, not a 1950s rebuild like so many others) Baroque palace at Ludwigsburg with its tourable royal chambers, four excellent museums, extensive gardens including a fairytale one, and two smaller associated palaces set in a deer park (several days to see it all). In www.schloesser-und-gaerten.de .

South of Stuttgart and east of Bad Liebenzell are many excellent places to visit, such as the old college town of Tuebingen ( www.tuebingen.de ) with its hilly cobblestone streets, and they do punting on the Neckar River there like at Oxford and Cambridge. Just to the north of Tuebingen is the excellent well preserved medieval monastery Bebenhausen (also in www.schloesser-und.gaerten.de ). To the south of Tuebingen is a great fairytale-like castle, Hohenzollern ( www.burg-hohenzollern.com ) which is by Hechingen ( www.hechingen.de ) which also has a Roman farmhouse ruins. Another great fairytale-like castle is Schloss Lichtenstein east of Reutlingen ( www.schloss-lichtenstein.de ). Nearby it is the Bear's Cave and also the Traumland Amusement Park ( www.sonnenbuehl.de and www.freizeitpark-traumland.de ) . There is also a summer bobsled ride near there ( www.sommerbob.de ). Slightly further east is Germany's oldest state stables, Marbach (Gomadingen) ( www.gestuet-marbach.de ) where you can visit the magnificent stallions in their stalls and the mares and colts will be out in the fields. With pre-arrangement, you can also take a carriage ride. If you continue on down on the Gross Lauter River ( www.grosses-lautertal-alb.de ), one of Germany's highest concentrations of castle ruins will be present, and you can also canoe of this placid idyllic river ( www.kanutouren.com ). There are also some lovely Baroque churches such as Zwiefalten ( www.zwiefalten.de ) at the former monastery there, lovely Baroque monasteries such as Obermarchtal, and lovely Baroque palaces such as Schloss Mochental by where the Grosse Lauter River runs into the Danube. North of Zwiefalten between there and Hayingen is Friedrichshoehle (Friedrichs Cave- www.wimsen.de and www.hayingen.de ) which must be entered by boat. Blaubeuren ( www.blaubeuren.de ) with its excellent former monastery church, and the Blautopf (blue pool, the flooded entrance of a large cave system), source of the Blau (Blue) River, is also in this area. Other nice places to vist closer to Stuttgart and also Tuebingen on the Schwaebische Alb (this region with its numerous limstone caves and castles, www.schwaebischealb.de ) include the large castle (fortress) ruins at Hohenneuffen ( www.hohenneuffen.de and also in www.schloesser-und-gaerten.de ), the lovely valley town of Bad Urach ( www.badurach.de ) with another castle ruins and nearby waterfall, and also Metzingen, ( www.metzingen.de ) with Germany's most factory outlets.

The best preserved medieval monastery north of the Alps is north of Pforzheim and Bad Liebenzell, Maulbronn, in www.schloesser-und-gaerten.de which has many other excellent places to visit operated by the state of Baden-Wuerttemberg.

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
37,149 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: summer break at bad liebenzell, eurocamp

Nearby Calw is nice. And they have information in English on their homepage

calw.de/servlet/PB/menu/1151452_l2/index.html

see also museums, leisure activities, nature and environment

Most important sight in Calw are the ruins of Hirsau monastery

calw.de/servlet/PB/menu/1151531_l2/index.html

Bad Liebenzell has also it's own castle

http://www.burg-liebenzell.de/

Marcopolko already mentioned it, but here the link for the visitors mine in Neubulach

http://www.bergwerk-neubulach.de/

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
14,455 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: summer break at bad liebenzell, eurocamp

As abalada mentioned, the nearby town of Calw is a lovely town and birthplace of the author Herman Hesse. (There is a museum dedicated to him there, but I usually don't recommend non-German speakers visiting such museums as most signs and information will be in German, with the exceptions of the few museums I've previously mentioned because they are so great and detailed explanations aren't necessary.) Make sure to visit the chapel on the bridge. There are also some other things nearby to Bad Liebenzell which I didn't mention because I've never visited them such as the Bruberhoehle (cave) just south of there. Both the castle and the nearby monastery mentioned by abalada are rated by the Shell map as good places to visit, as is the cave.

The places I've mentioned were selected to be ones that I thought would appeal to the whole family, and also being possibly fun because of your sons.

Also, I should state that many (perhaps most) of the websites that I mentioned have an English version. Just click on the appropriate flag or search for a place that allows you to change the language. (The one for the often mentioned www.schloesser-und-gaerten.de is hard to see up near the top of the page as the letters and the background have little contrast between them.) Even if the site is in German, many have pictures and also opening hour information on them.

Livingston, United...
Level Contributor
613 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: summer break at bad liebenzell, eurocamp

i took my family to bad leibenzell for two weeks years back,via Eurocamp, the camping conplex is next to a beautiful located swimming complex. the family will love it,, we had one of our very best meals in over 20 years touring germany in Zum Adler. the meal served on a huge plater decorated with exotic fruits.Marcopolko and Ablada supplied comprehensive information, which id loved to have known 20 yrs back, the only addition i would recommend is tour the nagold valley , its beautiful, and take a trip across country to Baden-Baden.enjoy,with greetings from Scotland

London, United...
Level Contributor
670 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: summer break at bad liebenzell, eurocamp

You could, as mentioned above, visit Pforzheim. There you can go to the Schmuckwelten (www.schmuckwelten.de) it shows all different kinds of jewellery and there are also to shops in the building. One sells more exclusive (e.g. Fabergé, Wellendorf, Bunz) jewellery, while the other sells jewellery and watches that are more affordable.

there is also the Schmuckmuseum, which usually has nice exhibitions about jewellery. Across the street there is also Schütt Witwe, where beutiful Gem-Stones are shown. Also not far from the Schmuckmuseum is the technical museum. It is located in an old jewellery factory and shows how jewellery is made and refined (eg. polished, electroplated).

All this is about 15 minutes by car form Bad Liebenzell. For more information about Pforzheim you can visit www.pforzheim.de or contact me.

9. Re: summer break at bad liebenzell, eurocamp

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:18 pm, September 23, 2009