We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train travel from Lucerne to Hinterzarten

Mumbai (Bombay...
3 posts
Save Topic
Train travel from Lucerne to Hinterzarten

Hello All,

I am visiting Switzerland with my wife in mid July 2014 on a pleasure trip. After sightseeing in Switzerland I have planned to visit Hinterzarten (Black Forest) in Germany and I will be traveling from Lucerne by train sometime in afternoon and from Hinterzarten I am heading to Zurich in morning. I have few doubts regarding the train travel from Lucerne to Hinterzarten and Hinterzarten to Zurich.

1. Do I need to book the train tickets in advance or can I just buy the tickets at the station and hop on the next train?

2. My travel to Hinterzarten, Germany takes me via Basel and from Hinterzarten to Zurich again via Basel. I will be having Swiss Pass with me.

Now my question is will the the Swiss Pass cover my travel from lucerne to Basel and from Basel to Zurich and I only buy the tickets for the remaining part of my journey i.e. Basel - Hinterzarten and Hinterzarten - Basel or do I need to buy tickets for the entire leg.

Please help.

Thanks & Regards,

Annand

Freiburg im...
Level Contributor
2,649 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Train travel from Lucerne to Hinterzarten

"can I just buy the tickets at the station and hop on the next train?"

Yes, in Switzerland and Germany booking is not compulsory.

The Swiss pass covers the Swiss trains as far as Basel SBB station. The ticket Basel SBB-Hinterzarten can be bought in Basel SBB or already in Luzern.

Although the fare would be somewhat cheaper, I advise against using regional trains (RE/RB) between Basel and Freiburg. There are rail works going on till september and you'd have to change from the train to a crowded bus and back to a train to Freiburg. (The long distance trains (ICE/EC) are bypassing by a tunnel.

Mumbai (Bombay...
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Train travel from Lucerne to Hinterzarten

Thanks a lot huwe, I really appreciate.

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
38,150 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Train travel from Lucerne to Hinterzarten

Swiss Pass covers the trains even as far as Basel Bad Bf. Map showing the area of validity

www.swisstravelsystem.com/files/?id=51796

Basel Bad Bf to Hinterzarten counts as a domestic German trip. It will be cheaper to buy this part from DB (German Rail) than at the counter in Switzerland.

DB timetable

http://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query.exe/en

Start: Luzern

Start: Basel Bad Bf

Destination: Hinterzarten

Having a Swiss Pass and a point-to-point ticket Basel Bad Bf to Hinterzarten you can just stay seated at Basel Bad Bf.

Mumbai (Bombay...
Level Contributor
5 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Train travel from Lucerne to Hinterzarten

Thanks abalada for your reply.

5. Re: Train travel from Lucerne to Hinterzarten

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, May 19, 2015