We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Quick visit to South-West Germany by train

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
19 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Quick visit to South-West Germany by train

Hi all,

I am attending a wedding in Italy in September and am hoping to get the train back to the UK via somewhere in Germany, then Paris for the Eurostar back to the UK.

I think I would like to visit the Black Forest area. Which city would be best to get the train to for this? I will then have a couple of days there, so not very long. Ideally I would spend one of the days in the city and one in the countryside. I know I will only get a small flavour of both in such a short time. Please can anyone recommend the best / their favourite things to see/do?

Thanks very much,

Jo

Paradise, California
Destination Expert
for Rhineland-Palatinate
Level Contributor
6,115 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Quick visit to South-West Germany by train

I'd suggest staying in old-world Gengenbach, on the scenic Black Forest Railway near Offenburg:

stadthotel-gengenbach.de/files/gengenbach-in…

Your stay in this town (or any of the other 140 or so participating small towns) includes a free travel pass called the KONUS card. You can travel to other BF villages (Schiltach, Haslach, Alpirsbach, Hausach, Triberg, Villingen) for no charge with this card. You can also use it to travel to Freiburg in about one hour (the region's big city) as well - or what you might do is simply stop over in Freiburg for a visit of several hours on the way to Gengenbach (Freiburg station has luggage lockers.)

black-forest-travel.com/places-of-interest/b…

The KONUS card gives you discounts at area attractions as well.

www.dreisamtal.de/en/service/konus.php…

Freiburg is a good city option for accommodations, but you cannot take advantage of the KONUS card if you stay there.

2. Re: Quick visit to South-West Germany by train

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, May 13, 2015