We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Donauzusammenfluss

Stockholm, Sweden
Level Contributor
627 posts
121 reviews
Save Topic
Donauzusammenfluss

I'm planning a loosely Danube oriented vacation in Schwarzwald and a short way eastwards, travelling with public communications.

So one thing I want to see, is the zusammenfluss of the Breg and Brigach in Donaueschingen. (I can't find an applicable English word for it)

( and I know it's not the obvious thing to go and see, but this will be is a Danube oriented trip)

Would the following itinerary be reasonable in one day?

- Leave in the morning from Schönwald im Schwarzwald,

-travel to Donaueschingen,

- get myself to the Zusammenfluss, probably walking, stay around for a little while,

- get back to the railway station

- travel on to Sigmaringen

I've checked the communicaitons, at www.bahn.de, an it looks as if this could be possible. But I am unsure how long it would take to get from the Donaueschingen Bus/Rail station to the Zusammenfluss and back.

Freiburg im...
Level Contributor
2,687 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Donauzusammenfluss

The source of the Danube (actually of the "Donaubach"/Danube-brooklet) is close to the Fuerstenberg castle. From Donaueschingen station it's a 10 min. walk. But due to building works the access is less than ideal at the moment.

The "Zusammenfluss" (confluence) of Brigach and Breg is about 3km away.

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
39,043 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Donauzusammenfluss

http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Donauquelle

http://goo.gl/maps/UMNB

A Donaueschingen train station

B Donau(bach)quelle in the palace park

(exact position is labelled on the map, but the Google Maps route planner did not accept B to be placed inside the park)

C confluence of Brigach and Breg

Stockholm, Sweden
Level Contributor
627 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Donauzusammenfluss

Thanks a lot! I had actually looked this up on the map. There's lots of information out there. But somehow it did not occurr to me to try to google for how long it takes to walk.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Stuttgart, Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
15,046 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Donauzusammenfluss

Yesterday while driving by Furtwangen I saw a sign for the Donauquelle, the source of the Danube which would be the Breg. I always thought that Donaueschingen's claim was bogus, as those other rivers go further. But I guess it's like the source of the Ohio River in the USA, it's not really Pittsburgh where the two other rivers meet to form it.

Stockholm, Sweden
Level Contributor
627 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Donauzusammenfluss

I don't know really. I think it's a matter of philosophy or definition.

Actually I intend to visit the sources of both the Breg and Brigach also, as well as the watershed between the Black sea and the North sea.

But, I want to go to the place where the Breg and Brigach and the Donaubach joins, as well as the source of the Donaubach since this will be a Danube related trip.

Stockholm, Sweden
Level Contributor
627 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Donauzusammenfluss

Here are the results....

This was completely doable. The bahnhof has luggage lockers to put your luggage in. The road to the Breg / Brigach confluence, and to the Donauquelle, is clearly signposted all the way. It's about 30 minutes walk to the confluence, depending on how fast you walk. Once there, there's a short walk around to the road bridge on the other side, (for taking a better photo).

There is a large beer garden about half way, open evenings and Saturday / Sunday. The whole expedition would take about 1.5 hour, if you're not staying around taking photographs, like I did, or visiting the beer garden.

As pointed out by huwe, there is no access to the Furstenberg park at present, but precisely the area around the actual Donauquelle is accessble, behind the church.

7. Re: Donauzusammenfluss

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:17 pm, July 17, 2013