We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tripsdrill vs Europa Park?

Which Baden-Wurttemberg hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston, Massachusetts
Level Contributor
4,938 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Tripsdrill vs Europa Park?

You were all so helpful with our visit to the Technik Museum. So what is your opinion on Tripsdrill and/or Europa Park? We are staying in the Happenheim area and would like to spend one day at one of the amusement parks. We prefer more local type amusement parks vs ones with large crowds and long lines. Our original plan was to visit Europa Park but now we are reconsidering our decision. We think that Europa Park might be too crowded and too far to drive for just one day. Is Tripsdrill an ideal substitution or should we go with our original plan?

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
34,997 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Tripsdrill vs Europa Park?

> Happenheim

Do you mean Heppenheim?

Closest option is actually the Holiday Park in Hassloch.

http://holidaypark.de/index.php

Tripsdrill park map

tripsdrill.de/fileadmin/media/pdf/Tripsdrill…

Depends how old your kids are and what expectations they have.

Europa-Park is apart from the distance also considerably more expensive. Tripsdrill is in first place directed towards families. Europa-Park tries to be attractive also for youths and adults. That means that there a number of attractions not accessible for younger kids.

At Tripsdrill a 6 year old and 100 cm high can ride everything offered.

At Europa-Park this is only possible for 12 year olds and 140 cm high ones.

Stuttgart, Germany
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
6,800 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tripsdrill vs Europa Park?

Tripsdrill has a more traditional and local atmosphere. Europapark is a huge international style park

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,938 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tripsdrill vs Europa Park?

Thanks, our kids are 7, 9, and 17 years old. And yes, excuse the misspelling we are staying in the lovely town of Heppenheim. We are really enjoying our stay, we love it here. The scenery is fantastic and we really enjoyed walking up to the Starkenburg.

We also visited The Wilhelma Zoo and Botanical Garden in Stuttgart, and took a boat ride down the Neckar River, we enjoyed them both very much but was very surprised how crowded both of these attractions were. That is one of the reasons we are reconsidering Europa-Park and substituting It with another amusement park. We HOPE to find one with less crowds just like our visit to the Speyer Tecknik Museum. It had just the right amount of visitors.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Stuttgart, Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
13,562 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tripsdrill vs Europa Park?

I was just at Tripsdrill ( www.tripsdrill.de ) earlier this Summer. It is certainly much cheaper and won't break the family to visit. It is Germany's oldest amusement park, and you can tell that from many of the early rides which are interesting historically, but not that exciting (overstatement). The boat ride was fun, I had to press the accelerator with one foot, steer the boat with one hand, fire the water cannon with the other foot, and aim it with the other hand!!!!!! Unfortunately, I had just learned how to do all of this when the ride ended so didn't get to hit many of the other riders or people waiting for the ride on the platform. There are also some animated characters.

There are also four recent modern day rides in the new part of the park, a flume ride, a rafting ride (our favorite), a smaller roller coaster, and the larger one suspended on new timbers. Oh, the setting there is lovely in the vineyards. With the exception of the flume ride and the smaller roller coaster, the wait was short for the rides. To pass the time while in line, each of these four attractions has interesting historical items on display as the lines wind their way past.

Part of the park is a distance away, the large wild animal park that covers a good share of a hillside with birds of prey and a show with them, deer, mouflon sheep, and some other such animals running free, and others in large enclosures such as the yaks, bears, wolves, raccoons, lynx, wild boars, etc. Feeding the animals is part of the fun. By payment of a small fee, you can take a wheeled tram there from the amusement park, or since you have a car, easily drive.

The combination of the animal park and the amusement park make for an enjoyable day, and of course the two experiences are completely different. Your 17 year old might like to run over to the distant new attractions to ride them over and over again until you catch up.

Oh, and I can't complicate enough the new admissions cashier that when I inquired about public transportation to a train station after we had missed the early last bus of the day, gave us a ride to the train station in Bietiegheim after the park closed, what a life saver, being stranded in the middle of nowhere.

About Wilhelma, it's visited by over 2 million people a year being the second most visited zoo after the main one in Berlin. It's too bad that the construction on the new ape house has disrupted so much. I hope that you saw the flock of wild parrots while visiting, they live year-long in nearby Bad Cannstatt.

Karlsruhe, Germany
Destination Expert
for Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
8,805 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Tripsdrill vs Europa Park?

A thought, a bit off-topic but since you are inthe area: Have you already visited Ladenburg? If not, don't miss it. This hidden gem of a little old town remained undestroyed since the 30 Year War and has preserved a picture-book ambience. Its history dates back to the ancient Romans and you'll find some of their traces, too. Besides, this is where Carl Benz invented his automobile, and there is a little car museum. It is hardly known outside the region, so you won't encounter many crowds. From Heppenheim it is even close enough for a bike tour. To give you an idea of the place: members.virtualtourist.com/m/f86bd/aa6e/

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,938 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tripsdrill vs Europa Park?

Thank you. We visited Ladenburg on our last visit and really enjoyed it. We biked from Hirschburg to Ladenburg and it was lovely ride. We were unable to visit the Carl Benz Museum on our last visit, we planned to visit the Museum on this trip but so many people told us that the Technik Museum was a better place for the kids. Hopefully, we will still be able to visit Ladenburg on this visit.

Thank You, Marcopolko for your detailed information on Tripsdrill. It sounds like the amusement park that I would enjoy. Hopefully, I can convince my kids! They all looked forward to visiting Europa Park. Except for the 17 year old, I think Tripsdrill seems to be the type of amusement park that we usually prefer.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Heidelberg
Level Contributor
6,678 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tripsdrill vs Europa Park?

themeparkreview.com/minieurope2007/tripsdril…

or

themeparkreview.com/europe2005/europapark/eu…

(although the sites have a wierd sense of humor)

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
13,562 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tripsdrill vs Europa Park?

I enjoyed those photos of Tripsdrill on the theme park review website. Yes, it's a different park and what I'd want to see if visiting Germany, not just another more sterile amusement park. I didn't see several of the rides in the photos, perhaps they are no longer there, and the two newest rides weren't shown, the lage Mammoth roller coaster and the raft river ride. And of course, they didn't also show the enjoyable animal park.

Another excellent amusement park is the fairy tale gardens in the extensive gardens ( www.bluba.de ) at the palace in Ludwigsburg ( www.ludwigsburg.de ). It dates from the 1950s, just an early enjoyable amusement park with no big rides. When you speak to the characters, they may perform actions, like asking Rapunzel to let down her long hair from the castle tower. Just an excellent place to visit for this and the other excellent attractions at the palace (in www.schloesser-magazin.de/en ). Too bad it's not the beginning of September, then the world's largest pumpkin exhibition would be on through the beginning of November, with Europe's largest pumpkins and squash on display along with large themed sculptures made from these vegetables, this year's theme being dinosaurs.

Baden-Wuerttemberg has at least another 5 amusement parks, and if you are interested in what they are, do a search on the Germany forum using the terms: amusement parks spieleland traumland or perhaps change to the English meaning of the last two: playland and dreamland..

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,938 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tripsdrill vs Europa Park?

We deciced to go to Tripsdrill and loved it. The park was not crowded and it is a great family German theme park. I loved all the laundry theme rides, too cute. The bath tub flume ride was hysterical, the best flume ride that we have ever been on. My 9 year old loved the fallen tree ride and my 7 year old loved the fun house and the slide in the mill. Our 17 year old loves wooden roller coasters, so the new Mammut coaster was a must ride.

There were many rides the whole family could enjoy and as a family we loved the Waschzuber-Rafting ride the best. Since, there was no one waiting in line, they let us remain on the ride and we did a couple of rounds on the ride. We spent so much time at the amusement park section that we did not make it to the animal park (We visited Wilhelma, the Stuttgart Zoo the week before so it was not our top priority when we arrived and the 6PM closing time came too soon. We would have loved it if the park stayed open later so we could have visited the animal park, too.)

A few tips, if there are lines just skip that attraction and return later. The boat ride line was very long when we arrived but by the afternoon there was no line. Also, later in the afternoon, many rides allowed you to stay on the rides because there were no one in line waiting to board the rides.

The complimentary wine and/or juice glasses was a nice touch. My kids loved the juice tasting!

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
13,562 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Tripsdrill vs Europa Park?

It's always nice to hear back how someone liked a place. Thanks for doing so.