We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wein Probe ?

USA
Level Contributor
128 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Wein Probe ?

The last time we were in Germany we were driving along and kept seeing signs for "Wein Probe". I thought this meant wine-tasting, or something like that. We never did go into one of them because we don't know the language and we weren't sure what to do, or how they work. Is it a place where you can sample their wine? Are there any particular things we need to know before we go to one this summer? I keep remembering about the time we walked into a grocery store about 6:30 p.m. and proceeded to pick up food items to take to the cashier. The doors were wide open and the lights were on but they were closed! Boy were they mad at us! Don't want to make a stupid tourist mistake if we go into a wein probe.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Stuttgart, Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
14,362 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Wein Probe ?

I believe that Wein Probe means wine tasting. How they actually operate, I wouldn't know, but the wineries I have visited that were sign-posted on the Württemberg Wine Road allowed free tasting. Hopefully, they will speak English and you can ask them how they operate and for some of their suggestions. One thing to note, it's not a good idea to taste wine and drive in Germany as the allowable alcohol blood limit is low.

I'm hardly a tourist having lived in Germany for almost 6 years, and I've done something similar about entering a closed store. The feeling of the person operating it is probably everyone (the locals) knows that we're closed, so don't feel bad about it. If they can't clearly state their opening hours (it's amazing how many restaurants and other places don't) or have the door locked, it's actually their fault that you entered, not yours. It's like my wife many times refusing to pass a farm tractor on a two lane road, as they most often do not signal their turns, but just without looking enter their farmyard or field whether its safe or not. I've seen it quite often. According to her and them, you are supposed to know they live there ot that it's their field.

Freiburg im...
Level Contributor
2,556 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Wein Probe ?

Perhaps this is useful:

germanwines.de/icc/Internet-EN/nav/06a/06a1c…

germany-tourism.de/ENG/culture_and_events/ge…

www.baden-baden.de/en/tourism/indexc.php…

3. Re: Wein Probe ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, September 06, 2010