We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which Black forest location ?

Mumbai (Bombay...
Level Contributor
223 posts
66 reviews
Save Topic
Which Black forest location ?

We are a senior couple and are planning a trip to the Black forest in June 2014.

I have read quite a bit on the Black Forest area but have ended up confused as to the village/town to go to. We are looking for a quiet village or town with restaurants near by. Local food and walks are of our interest. Can anyone recommend a place, and which is the nearest airport in Germany for the place? Train rides (not too long) from one place to another is also of interest. We may later visit to Innsbruck in Austria. We will not be driving.

Thanks in advance for a reply

greeley, CO
Level Contributor
2,667 posts
427 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which Black forest location ?

I'll be staying in both Gengenbach and Titisee-Neustadt next month. I think Gengenbach looks like a good place for you. I'll be flying into Frankfurt and taking the train. You might also look at flying into Zurich.

Gengenbach's website is www.stdt-gengenbach.de. Good English language version

Edited: 10:50 am, September 04, 2013
greeley, CO
Level Contributor
2,667 posts
427 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which Black forest location ?

stadt-gengenbach.de, not stdt-

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Stuttgart, Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
14,750 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which Black forest location ?

As to airports, the closest larger airport is Stuttgart which has direct flights on Qatar Air from Qatar, otherwise without having to change flights in Europe, Zurich and Frankfurt are the closest major airports.

For a "Black Foresty" town on a railway line, Schiltach is a good option.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
81 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which Black forest location ?

Here's another vote for Gengenbach. We stayed there a few years ago and really enjoyed it. Good train connections to other BF locations. BTW, if you stay in one of the little towns in the BF, you can get the KONUS card, which entitles you to free public transportation within the BF.

5. Re: Which Black forest location ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, September 06, 2014