We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need a base for exploration by train

Level Contributor
63 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Need a base for exploration by train

Trying to decide upon a "base" to use while in the Black Forest. We will be traveling by train from Nuremberg and departing to Regensburg. We will be traveling with luggage and would like to minimize the transfers to the location. We are planning on staying 3 or 4 days in one location and use that as a base. Our main objective is to see (by train) as much of the beautiful Schwarzwald as possible. Your comments / suggestions would be appreciated.

Paradise, California
Destination Expert
for Rhineland-Palatinate
Level Contributor
6,184 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need a base for exploration by train

The BF is a LONG way from Nuremberg and Regensburg. For attractive villages I would suggest Gengenbach, Schiltach or Haslach - all very attractive places that are well located for train outings - but you're still looking at a minimum of 2-3 changes and 5.5 - 7 hours of train travel to Regensburg, depending on what time you depart.

You can stay in Offenburg instead and get away with one change of train at certain times of the day, but you'll still have 6 hours of train travel to Regensburg for most trips. Offenburg is well located as well, especially if you intend to visit Freiburg, but it is a fairly drab place. Nearby Gengenbach is MUCH more attractive and IMO worth the extra change of train. Gengenbach and the other towns mentioned (except Offenburg) offer the KONUS card - a guest card that allows for completely free use of trains and buses in the Black Forest throughout your stay and on the day of departure as well.

www.dreisamtal.de/en/service/konus.php…

I like the BF a lot and I think it's worth the trip, generally, but it would be a major detour for you, and there are plenty of smallish lovely places to visit in northern Bavaria beyond Nuremberg and Regensburg in the event that the trek to the BF seems to arduous.

Level Contributor
63 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need a base for exploration by train

The train time to the BF is not really important. This will merely be one leg of a 7 week trip. I have heard wonderful things about the BF. We will have already spent several days in Nuremberg (as a base) exploring the area around there. The reason for going back to Regensburg is to board a river boat for a week long cruise down to Budapest.

What we're looking for in the BF is a picturesque town with easy access for train outings. We are planning to do one loop that would involve the Schwarzaldbahn, Hölklentalbahn and Rhine Valley Railway as a 'loop' trip - hopefully using the Konus card.

Paradise, California
Destination Expert
for Rhineland-Palatinate
Level Contributor
6,184 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need a base for exploration by train

Of the towns I've mentioned above, Gengenbach and Haslach are both on the BF Railway and would be good choices. Schiltach is not but there are direct trains from Schiltach that cruise the BF railway between Hausach and Offenburg (and stop in Haslach and Gengenbach) so you would need to make one additional change in Hausach at the beginning or end of your loop if you stay in Schiltach, depending on which direction you take on your loop.

Schiltach has some enormously handsome half-timbered buildings and (like Haslach) is part of the "Fachwerkstrasse", or "Half-timbered House Road" that cuts through much of Germany.

evaway.fr/s3/evawayus/photos/original/7B/7B-…

deutsche-fachwerkstrasse.de/de/streckenbilde…

Other towns on the loop I would consider: handsome Villingen (nice walled old town zone with more dining, shopping choices) and Löffingen (small village.)

Villingen: tourismus-vs.de/en/…villingen.html

Löffingen: See Bavaria Ben's trip report, Days 1-3: bensbauernhof.com/tenthstammtischanniversary…

Edited: 9:13 am, August 10, 2013
4. Re: Need a base for exploration by train

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, August 12, 2014