We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which town is best to be a base in the Black Forest?

Adelaide
Level Contributor
121 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Which town is best to be a base in the Black Forest?

Which town or towns would be the best place to base ourselves for a week in the Black Forest.

I have heard Baden Baden is good.

I have seen good acommodation in Tiberg on a farm a little out from the town (not too far)

Would either of these places be good. Which one would be best or Does anyone have any other suggestions.

Mannheim, Germany
Destination Expert
for Zurich, Mannheim
Level Contributor
13,989 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which town is best to be a base in the Black Forest?

It is impossible to answer before knowing what you would actually like to do in the BF. For hiking and spectacular views there are better places in the south. Triberg in the middle has waterfalls and tourist-trap shopping. Baden-Baden in the north is a very nice town to visit but is only a good base for the northwestern part of the mountains. Etc etc.

Paradise, California
Destination Expert
for Rhineland-Palatinate
Level Contributor
6,649 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which town is best to be a base in the Black Forest?

Baden-Baden's location makes it a weak base for the BF most visitors go to see. It's worse yet for train travelers - the station lies far outside the center and requires a bus connection every time you head out.

If you base in a handsome old-world town like Gengenbach, which shares the scenic Black Forest Railway line with Triberg, you'll find it easy to reach Triberg and other popular destinations, like the Vogtsbauernhof, half-timbered Schiltach, and Haslach, very quickly:

http://www.stadt-gengenbach.de/en/tourism/

black-forest-travel.com/places-of-interest/b…

black-forest-travel.com/places-of-interest/v…

http://www.black-forest-travel.com/haslach/

http://www.black-forest-travel.com/schiltach/

The city of Freiburg can reached in about 1 hour by train from Gengenbach. Strasbourg, FR is also a short train ride away. Train (and bus) travel is free throughout the BF during your stay in Gengenbach (and other smaller places, but not in larger ones like Freiburg or Baden-Baden) because of the Konus program:

http://www.blackforest-tourism.com/konus

Edited: 11:41 am, October 18, 2012
Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Stuttgart, Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
14,950 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which town is best to be a base in the Black Forest?

Where you choose to base yourself depends largely on whether you will be driving yourself or relying on public transportation. If the latter, you'll probably want to be by a train line and if you stay IN the Black Forest you will get a free KONUS card for public transportation. Note neither Baden Baden or Freiburg are IN the Black Forest.

If driving, it makes little difference where you stay, but then you can stay in a real "Black Foresty" type of place such as Wildgutach which I think is the Black Forest at its best, a remote valley village far from the madding tourist crowds. And if you want to see a good share of the Black Forest, stay in a central place or perhaps in a place in the north and another in the south. If you get good large scale maps of the area (at least 1:150000) they should show ALL rural roads, scenic drives, and hundreds of places of interest of ALL types. This is the best way to actually experience the Black Forest on those remote scenic rural roads and interesting attractions that most tourists don't see, and certainly those relying mainly on trains.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
6,678 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which town is best to be a base in the Black Forest?

I agree also. Baden-Baden is a great town but on the end of BF. However, you might consider a visit anyway, esp. if you like spas/swimming or cultural events. It's not "Black Forest" style but is a lovely baroque town with parks, scenery, even a Freida Kahlo Museum (Her father came from BB)

Adelaide
Level Contributor
121 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which town is best to be a base in the Black Forest?

Sorry everyon I forgot to mention we would be using the public transport system.

Thanks for all your suggestions and advice. Especially the KONUS CARD.

That was my thought to go to Baden Baden for a day trip from somewhere.

So which town would be best to stay in that is close to the train station?

I had seen the train stops at Triberg so that was my though for considering staying there and I had seen the type of houses in the area that looked different..

I will check out Gengenbach and the sites you gave me Russ.

Would we be entitled to the Konus Card if we stay in a farm house or apartment?

That way we will only have to buy a train ticket to go from Zurich to our destination in the Black Forest and one to return?

That makes it a cheap place to stay.

I have been amazed at how cheap apartments are to stay in for a week.

What are the food prices like?

Paradise, California
Destination Expert
for Rhineland-Palatinate
Level Contributor
6,649 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which town is best to be a base in the Black Forest?

"So which town would be best to stay in that is close to the train station?

I had seen the train stops at Triberg so that was my though for considering staying there..."

I think Triberg is worth a visit - the BF museum there is good - but its touristy quality would wear on me if I spent more than a night there, and wouldn't be my first choice; also, the town is a pretty long uphill hike from the station - OK once or twice but not so great if you're coming and going on foot all the time or with bags. (The KONUS plan does permit travel on local buses too so you could catch a bus to/from the station when you visit.)

Stations in Gengenbach or Haslach are a short, easy walk from town. Either would make a good base for this area of the BF. But Gengenbach has an edge when it comes to ambiance.

"Would we be entitled to the Konus Card if we stay in a farm house or apartment?"

Yes. If a town offers the KONUS card, all hosts do too, regardless of the type of accommodation.

To get some ideas on accommodations (including farms and apartments), destinations, and base towns, as well as a good general feel for the BF, you might want to peruse some of the BF trip reports and accommodations pages at Ben's excellent website - lots of photos and good description:

bensbauernhof.com/germanybyrailandbus2011.ht…

http://www.bensbauernhof.com/russ2011.html

bensbauernhof.com/tenthstammtischanniversary…

bensbauernhof.com/accommodationsschwarzwald.…

Adelaide
Level Contributor
121 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Which town is best to be a base in the Black Forest?

Thanks for putting me straight on Gengenbach over going to Triberg.

The uphill slog to the town does not sound good for us especially without a car.

I checked out the sites you suggested and yes Gengenbach does have a nice appeal. It appears a lot flatter, so I have started looking into accommodation there.

I have just started planning as we are not going until September next year.

This site is so good to get all the ideas to make a great holiday.

Thanks again for your help.

8. Re: Which town is best to be a base in the Black Forest?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:16 am, October 20, 2013