We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Running trails in the Black Forest?

Sydney, Australia
2 posts
Save Topic
Running trails in the Black Forest?

Hi there,

I am visiting the Black Forest for the first time, and was wondering whether there was a particular place with pretty trails to run along?

What Im looking for is :

*10-15km Trails, suitable for running and nice and safe

* Close to a town where I can stay over night

* Must be accessible by train (I will be coming from Paris)

Can anyone advise me on the best way to do this?

Thanks all!

Freiburg im...
Level Contributor
2,665 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Running trails in the Black Forest?

I think Baden-Baden or Freiburg would be right places. All the trails can be easily reached on foot or by bus/tram from the city centers.

Sydney, Australia
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Running trails in the Black Forest?

Awesome, thank you so much!!!

I will give Baden-Baden a go.

Freiburg im...
Level Contributor
2,665 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Running trails in the Black Forest?

IMO a good choice. Baden-Baden is surrounded by one oft he most beautiful landscapes in Germany.

There's a "panorama trail" encircling Baden-Baden. Numerous trailheads are accessible on foot or by public bus. Tourist information is providing a map for € 1.50.:

baden-baden.de/en/…871

runmap.net/regional/…Baden-Baden

Bergen County, New...
Level Contributor
4,197 posts
211 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Running trails in the Black Forest?

I trust you know that the Black Forest tradition is hiking, perhaps with a walking stick. Many hotels include a local railcard with your room, so you can ride back from a walk to another town.

My point is that you will have to do careful research to separate running trails from scenic and wooded hiking trails. Parts of some trails are paved and level, and some town-to-town trails are entirely paved. But most visitors are looking for a hilly route through a forest.

I'm not a huge hiker, but I base this report on walking from Titisee to Hinterzarten. Although not particularly adventurous, most of it was not "runnable". There were three difficulties of trail to choose between those two towns, but I lost sight of the flattest and ended up on the intermediate.

Karlsruhe, Germany
Level Contributor
4 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Running trails in the Black Forest?

If you are ever back I the area give me a msg. I am based in blackforest area and a trail runner. Hope you had fun this time around

Karlsruhe, Germany
Level Contributor
4 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Running trails in the Black Forest?

If you are ever back I the area give me a msg. I am based in blackforest area and a trail runner. Hope you had fun this time around

Karlsruhe, Germany
Level Contributor
4 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Running trails in the Black Forest?

Zurich, Switzerland
1 post
Save Reply
8. Re: Running trails in the Black Forest?

Hi JBCole,

I saw that you offered to help with trail running in the blackforest, could you offer some ideas?)

I am living in Zurich and thinking of coming to Freiburg/Blackforest to go running for a weekend (ie. 15-20km Sat, + 10-20km on the Sunday), sometime mid - November. I am not sure if I will fly or take the train, but would probably want the journey to start from Freiburg central. Could you offer some advice? More hills the better . so intermediate to hard is ok for me! I do prefer higher intensity runs than pure distance, it would be nice if there are some nice views available.

Kind Regards

Frederich

(frederich.steenkamp@gmail.com)

Karlsruhe, Germany
Level Contributor
4 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Running trails in the Black Forest?

Hi

There's a great guy from Freiburg I've been trying to run with. He has a great web site (www.blackforesttrailrunning.com) and is really knowledgeable in the local area.

Drop him a message, all the contact details are there

Bests and have a great run

Jeremy

Mannheim, Germany
Destination Expert
for Zurich, Mannheim
Level Contributor
13,984 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Running trails in the Black Forest?

> I am not sure if I will fly or take the train, but would probably want the journey to start from Freiburg central.

I am wondering how you plan to fly. Freiburg is less than two hours by train from Zürich, and so is the next airport. However, pretty much the same landscape can be found in the Zürcher Oberland, 30-40 min away from Zürich. While there are a lot of reasons to visit Freiburg, being from Zürich running isn't one of them...