We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day Trip for the Black Forest form Heidelberg

Frederick, Maryland
Level Contributor
104 posts
95 reviews
Save Topic
Day Trip for the Black Forest form Heidelberg

Hi, my friends are I are going on a day trip to the black forest. I realise that is not enough time to explore it completely, but was wondering what were the essentials to cover. I was thinking if would be good to take a train ride around the forest (how long would that take) and maybe hop on/hop off at some stops. Also, we were interested in hiking maybe for half a day, so are there any short hikes that are scenic (maybe around the cuckoo museum?). Is there a railway system that would take me around? We plan to come in from heidelberg to freiberg first, and from there go on to somewhere, and come back to heidelberg by night time.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Stuttgart, Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
14,871 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day Trip for the Black Forest form Heidelberg

The Baden-Wuerttemberg ticket should meet your needs. It is 25 euros for the travel of 2-5 people for the entire day, with some restrictions as to type of train (no ICE or IC) and no earlier morning trains (before 9:00 or 9:30). The Black Forest is 150 km long, and 50 km wide, so you'll be able to see only a small portion of it. The southern mountains near Freiburg are the highest and therefore probably the most scenic.

Freiburg im...
Level Contributor
2,660 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Day Trip for the Black Forest form Heidelberg

As markopolko says, that's a lot. To make a proposal: check up http://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query.exe/e

From Heidelberg HBF To Baden-Baden Merkurwald

There you'll find Europe’s steepest funicular railway.

www.baden-baden.de/en/tourism/indexc.php…

At the top-station there are views, trails, a restaurant. If you want, you can comfortably take a walk down to the town.

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
38,663 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Day Trip for the Black Forest form Heidelberg

Most interesting train route through the Black Forest woulde be:

(Heidelberg -) Offenburg - Triberg - Donaueschingen - Titisee - Freiburg (- Heidelberg).

See the map on page 3 of this leaflet

bahn.de/regional/…MDB17734-ba_wue_011105.pdf

Same leaflet in English, but the map is in low resolution. And you have to paste the link together from the next 2 lines (forum restrictions).

bahn.de/regional/…

badenwrttemberg/regionales/baden_w_rttemberg_ticket/MDB21989-bawue_ticket_engl.pdf

DB timetable

http://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query.exe/e

If you like to use the Baden-Württemberg Ticket you have to select as means of transport "only local transport". For the part through the Black Forest the "local trains only" - there are nearly only local trains. For Heidelberg - Offenburg/Freiburg you'll loose some time compared to faster trains.

Can be done on one day, but no time for a longer hike.

You could visit the Vogtsbauernhof Black Forest Open Air Museum near Hausach (en route). Or Triberg, which is a centre for cuckoo clocks.

http://www.blackforest-tourism.com/

- - -

If you like to hike choose the Neckar Valley/Odenwald which are much closer to Heidelberg.

E.g. from Neckarsteinach with its 4 castles along the Neckar Valley

www.burgenstrasse.de/showpage.php…

Has the advantage that you're flexbible as you can take from any station in the Neckar Valley the S-Bahn (lines S1 and S2) back to Heidelberg.