We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travelling through Black Forest

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
63 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Travelling through Black Forest

This August we are travelling by car from Lindau to Freiburg (we spend three days there at Zum Roten Baren Hotel) then Baden- Baden (another 3 days at Rathausglockel hotel) and then back to Lindau. We would like to ask which route to take on our way to and back, we prefer the most scenic not the fastest. Also which places to visit. Maybe wineries at the border with France (Riquewihr?), Buhl? lake Titisse? Also any recommendations for things to do, and places to eat in Freiburg and Baden- Baden? Thank you

Europe
Level Contributor
4,074 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travelling through Black Forest

I assume you take the route along Lake of Constance (Bodensee), so nice spots are Meersburg and Überlingen. If you want to travel via Switzerland. You could take the ferryboat to Konstanz and from there to Stein am Rhein and Neuhausen/Schaffhausen (Rhine Falls)

Otherwise you go from Meersburg to Überlingen then drive via Stockach, Engen to Donaueschingen and afterwards you come to Titisee. and then to Freiburg. Don't miss the Food Markets Hall for lunch.

Near Freiburg you could go to Feldberg or Schauinsland or Belchen (there are good views of Black Forest).

The nearest town in France (Alsace) from Freiburg would be Colmar. Wineries are in Kaysersberg, Riquewehr and Ribeauville not too far from Colmar.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Stuttgart, Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
14,361 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travelling through Black Forest

For places in this area, have a look at what I wrote in #1 of tripadvisor.com/…41820346 which will give you several week' worth of excellent ideas.

For the Black Forest, have a look at www.schwarzwald-tourismus.info . For me, the most interesting place is the museum of old Black Forest farm houses just south of Hausach.

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
63 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travelling through Black Forest

Thanks a lot. I will look into the links. One question. If you had to pick one winery for a visit, which one will you recommend?

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Stuttgart, Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
14,361 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travelling through Black Forest

Have a look at wein.de/fileadmin/…DLG_TOP_100_2010.pdf which lists Germany's best wineries for 2010. I'm certain that they haven't changed much. Most of the wineries with Baden in the right hand column will be on the west side of the Black Forest. If you are going to taste wines, why not taste the best and select a winery from near the top of the list, although I'm sure that ones near the bottom of the list are also excellent. Note that this list is for wineries and not individual wines, so to be on it the winery has to produce many excellent wines.

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
63 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travelling through Black Forest

Hi everybody. We left the Black Forrest area yesterday. Your suggestions were very helpful. Colmar is beautiful and also Turckheim, Riquewhir and Obernai. As for the cities we liked Baden Baden and Strasbourg over Freiburg. More extensive reviews as soon as we return home. Thanks!

6. Re: Travelling through Black Forest

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:17 pm, August 20, 2013