We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

staufen

Hod Hasharon, Israel
Level Contributor
324 posts
Save Topic
staufen

We will be in the black forest area in June and I thought of taking a holiday flat in Staufen. I see on all the webs that some of the flats are in Staufen-grunern which I understand is a village/suburb of Staufen. My question is if there are any food shops/bakeries there or would we have to go into the town for any food shopping? Also if we want to go to a restaurant in town in the evening would there be ay trouble finding parking (as opposed to living in a place in town with parking where we walk to the restaurants). I hope there is an expert somewhere who could help me. Anyone recommend on an accomodation in Staufen?

Freiburg im...
Level Contributor
2,520 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: staufen

Grunern is 2 km outside Staufen, a tiny village with just a few farm shops.

Staufen has some food shops, parking near the old town is no sweat.

Personally, I'd rather look for accommodation right in Staufen. It's quaint and has everything within easy walking distance.

A good alternative to Staufen would be Munstertal.

touristik-staufen.de/en/guesthouse/Staufen/

www.markgraeflerland-ferien.de/index_en.html

http://www.breisgau-schwarzwald.de/

www.blackforest-tourism.com/uebernachten

Hod Hasharon, Israel
Level Contributor
324 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: staufen

thanks a lot for your reply. I've actually looked at these websites and saw some possible holiday flats, hope they have vacancies. I also thought of munstertal as a possible location and saw there were many holiday flats there. It looks as if it's much more "countryside" but also very charming. It's much more difficult to see from the google maps which is closer to food shops and restaurants and where the centre is. Perhaps you could help me?

Freiburg im...
Level Contributor
2,520 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: staufen

Muenstertal is pretty extensive. The most restaurants are along the "Hauptstrasse", a well-assorted "EDEKA" supermarket is at Hauptstrasse 58. Near at hand are also two service station shops.

The train station is at Barbaraweg 1. If you intend visiting Freiburg or Basel, I would advise against doing this by car. Parking fees are pricey and both, Staufen and Muenstertal, are providing the free Konus card.

http://www.blackforest-tourism.com/konus

Hod Hasharon, Israel
Level Contributor
324 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: staufen

I'm sorry to bother you but did you mean haupstrasse in Munstertal because I can't seem to find it on the google maps. When I give that address it "throws" me to towns nearby. I'm really grateful for your detailed answers, you are helping me a lot.

thanks,

Riki

Hod Hasharon, Israel
Level Contributor
324 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: staufen

Did you mean the "main road"- munster 58?

Riki

Karlsruhe, Germany
Destination Expert
for Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
9,307 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: staufen

Try the correct spelling: Muenstertal (There are two dots on the u in "Münstertal", these must be substituted by inserting vthat extra e. The name is not "Munstertal".)

The name of the main street in the centre of the village is "Wasen".

Freiburg im...
Level Contributor
2,520 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: staufen

Sorry, I mistook it, it's "Wasen" indeed. The EDEKA shop is at "Wasen 51".

Hod Hasharon, Israel
Level Contributor
324 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: staufen

many thanks everybody for your help. BlandineForbe, although I don't speak German I actually know about the spelling as my mother was born and raised in Vienna so I know a little about the language. actually the google maps do a very good job of adapting the names if you don't get it right.

Now I have to start enquiring about vacancies and then decide if Staufen or Muenstertal, they both look charming.

Riki

Clackmannanshire...
Level Contributor
175 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: staufen

I too am looking at Staufen for September for a week but wow what a difficulty I am having trying to get replies to emails I send enquiring about accommodation. I cannot speak German so am using Google translate and sending the emails that way but not many people want to reply to me??

I have tried the tourist office as well at the weekend and I got an out of office which said someone else would pick up the email but I have heard nothing back from them neither.

I was also trying Bad Krozingen and Bad Sackingen and having the same problems there.

Even if they do not have vacancies a short email to advise would be nice.

There are two accommodations I particularly like in Staufen and have sent off a second email tonight so hopefully will get a response tomorrow.

Karlsruhe, Germany
Destination Expert
for Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
9,307 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: staufen

Better write your e-mails in English. Tourist office staff can be expected to be able to deal with that. With German, Google translate (and all other online translators I know of) usually produces a mess and a laugh but not an understandable text in at least half-correct language.