We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

inexpensive cuckoo clocks (souvenir)

Monterrey, Mexico
Level Contributor
3 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
inexpensive cuckoo clocks (souvenir)

Hi everyone,

I would like to know if some of you have been to Baden-Baden, and if you remember souvenir shops.

I am interested in buying 3 cuckoo clocks before going to the town.

In my understanding, there are really nice, fine, hand-made clocks, which would make a wonderful gift, unfortunately, my budget (20 EUR or less) does not allow a hand-made cuckoo clock.

By any chance, does anyone know where could I find an inexpensive cuckoo clock?

I'll appreciate all your help. Thanks!

Freiburg im...
Level Contributor
2,651 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: inexpensive cuckoo clocks (souvenir)

You could try your luck at the souvenir shop "schwarzwaldbasar, it is between Leopoldsplatz and Augustaplatz.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Stuttgart, Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
14,793 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: inexpensive cuckoo clocks (souvenir)

What your budget will easily allow is purchasing of a cuckoo whistle, which sounds like the bird, perhaps a few euros at a place like the gift shop in the outdoor museum of old Black Forest farmhouses south of Hausach. Better cuckoo clocks are several hundred euros, easily going to well over a 1000€.

Frankfurt
Destination Expert
for Frankfurt
Level Contributor
5,813 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: inexpensive cuckoo clocks (souvenir)

I have never, ever seen a cuckoo clock for under 20 €, not even a cheap plastic thing from Asia. Why get a souvenir that was made someplace else?

There are other things you could buy that would fit your budget. Have you thought about some lovely, hand-made wooden Christmas ornaments, or some beer steins?

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Stuttgart, Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
14,793 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: inexpensive cuckoo clocks (souvenir)

What I think make excellent gifts are Viertel's, quarter liter wine glasses that have handles and can be quite attractive with their green handles and possibly etched main part of the glass. They come in a wide assortment of prices and etched designs, and make an excellent gift because unlike a lot of other German items, they are not easily purchased abroad and even the cheapest ones are nice.

Monterrey, Mexico
Level Contributor
3 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: inexpensive cuckoo clocks (souvenir)

Many thanks to you all,

I will keep looking for something that fits my budget, thanks again for your suggestions and valuable time.

Have a great week!

6. Re: inexpensive cuckoo clocks (souvenir)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, January 30, 2011