We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help with Itinerary

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
1 post
1 review
Save Topic
Help with Itinerary

I'm hoping you all can help plan an impromptu trip. My husband will be travelling for business in the end of June- beginning of July and I have decided to tag along. We are thinking of arriving in Dusseldorf June 28th. He will have to attend meetings June 30 and July 1 in Erkrath (just outside of Dusseldorf) and will also have to work July 5 in Cologne. We plan on flying home July 9th.

So we will have 2 days free after our arrival, 3 day weekend between his work obligations and 3 more days before we leave. Any ideas as to how we should spend the long weekend and the final 3 days?

Neither of us has been to this part of Germany. I'm sure we could spend 3 days happily in Cologne but any ideas where we should go from there? A train trip to some town along the Rhine? Rent a car and go where? (Ideally not too far, we would rather limit the time we spend driving). We are looking for something picturesque, low key and relaxing.

Thanks!

Frankfurt, Germany
Level Contributor
5,608 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help with Itinerary

I would recommend visiting the Drachenfels in Königswinter which is near Bonn and gives you a great view over the city, surrounding areas, and the river Rhine. it is also very easily reached by train from Cologne. (about 35 minutes)

Also Linz am Rhein is a nice small town on the Rhine about 20 minutes down the train line from Königswinter. Bonn itself is also worth a visit. So you could easily spend a whole day in that region without having to rent a car.

Florida
Level Contributor
1,884 posts
173 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help with Itinerary

A boat trip on the Middle Rhine Valley. I have not details but it can be done by train and day cruise.

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
2,782 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help with Itinerary

Frankfurt is only an hour by fast train. Once there, Mainz is close. I haven't checked Strasbourg's distance, but it is German-ish as is Colmar. I find thr boat tours boring, but obviously others don't. There's also Bruehl and a museum of the art of Max Ernst. Bonn has museum space for traveling shows.

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Berlin
Level Contributor
21,790 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help with Itinerary

Aachen. germany.travel/en/…aachen.html

Essen isn't all industrial, within the city limits are small towns too. germany.travel/en/…essen.html

Neuss, across the river from DÜsseldorf is nice too

I've still not been but I've heard good things about Münster muenster.de/stadt/…old-town-area.html and it's under an hour and a half by train from Düsseldorf

If you were flying home from Frankfurt, going down to Alsace might not be a bad idea but to have to get back to DUS at the end makes that less than ideal.

Quakenbrueck...
Level Contributor
81 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help with Itinerary

Aachen and Bonn would make good day trips from Cologne, Münster from Düsseldorf.

Imho Straßburg/ France is too far away having such short time.

The Rhine Valley is a good recommendation for picturesque scenery. If you venture a little further south you get to the Mosel Valley. Picturesque small towns, beautiful scenery along the river valley and some really good winetasting opportunities. It is arguably one of the worlds best white wine-growing districts.

The Mosel Valley is easily accessible by train from Cologne. Going to Cochem, for example, is approximately 1:45 hours. There is a train line going south from Koblenz along the river. Thus, you can get around quite easily.

Have a further look here for example:

www.mosellandtouristik.de/en/

Quakenbrueck...
Level Contributor
81 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help with Itinerary

A small correction: it's Moselle in english.

7. Re: Help with Itinerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, May 09, 2017