We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Christmas Market

Waterloo Iowa
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Christmas Market

I would like to take the wife to a Christmas market. Which is considered the biggest and the "best" and what are the dates. I am hoping to see several.

greeley, CO
Level Contributor
2,627 posts
417 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Christmas Market

I liked Stuttgart the best. There are also two in nearby towns/suburbs. Nuremburg is quite large. We were there Wednesday around noon and it was't crowded like it is weekends & later in the day. Salzburg Austria was nice, Rothenburg was small and except for the 1/2 meter bratwurst was not that great. However Rothenburg itself is always worth a trip.

Mainz, Germany
Level Contributor
7,862 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Christmas Market

>Which is considered the biggest and the "best" and what are the dates.

Imho impossible to answer. There are so many markets, literally every town has its own, smaller places often only for one weekend, all larger cities throughout advent time, starting in late November and ending just before Christmas Eve.

Nuremberg's Christkindlesmarkt is REALLY famous, so is Dresden's Striezelmarkt. Also Stuttgart is great, Erfurt, Strassburg (just across the border to France) very worth a detour and then there are the Ore Mountains / Erzgebirge where all the typical wooden Christmas decorations are from like pyramides, nutcrackers etc. If you are interested in buying authentic ornament where it is crafted - this is the place!

Also Wiesbaden has become very popular with international visitors, you can always add the markets in Mainz and Frankfurt when in the area, both nice. So almost whereever you go in Germany you will have the option to visit more than one great market.

If I had to chose and wasn't afraid of a Christmas market overkill I'd probably travel to Nuremberg, Dresden and Erzgebirge.

3. Re: Christmas Market

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, September 07, 2015