We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Restrictions on luggage in regional trains

Mumbai, India
Level Contributor
2 posts
Save Topic
Restrictions on luggage in regional trains

I wanted to know whether there are any restrictions on luggage on the regional trains- like I have 2 big bags and I'd be traveling from frankfurt airport to koblenz by the regional trains- so do you know if it's allowed or not?

Best Seller
Royal Castles of Neuschwanstein and...
4,319 Reviews
from $64.50*
Best Seller
Small-Group Neuschwanstein and...
455 Reviews
from $142.00*
Best Seller
Neuschwanstein Castle Small-Group Day...
1,878 Reviews
from $58.50*
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
349 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Restrictions on luggage in regional trains

there are no restrictions but what you take you have to drag along the aisles etc - there are no luggage cars and no porters to help you.

is there a particular reason you cannot fit all your holiday stuff into one bag?

Karlsruhe, Germany
Destination Expert
for Baden-Wurttemberg, Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
11,038 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Restrictions on luggage in regional trains

There are no official rules. It is your own physical forces that set the limits. Take into consideration that you have to be able to carry your luggage up and down stairs and lift it onto the train.

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Berlin
Level Contributor
21,796 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Restrictions on luggage in regional trains

There's not a lot of room for luggage that you can't lift up onto the shelves above the seats. Hope that the train isn't too full and you can have your bags near you.

Koblenz station does have lifts (thank goodness!)

Two big bags does sound a lot so maybe it's not just holiday stuff? Studying in Koblenz perhaps??

Hamburg, Germany
Level Contributor
1,338 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Restrictions on luggage in regional trains

For everyone saying there are no official rules I suggest to read bahn.de's T&Cs. At least for trains operated by them whether regional or long distance there are actually rules.

Many people do not follow them am most aware of but there ARE rules which says in general hand luggage and one piece of what DB calls "Traglast", luggage which, while not hand luggage, can be carried by the person, so e.g. medium/larger suitcase, these bigger travel backpacks etc.

bahn.de/p/…befoerderungsbedingungen.shtml

Mumbai, India
Level Contributor
2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Restrictions on luggage in regional trains

Hi everyone thanks for your replies! Well I'm a student and I'm moving there for higher studies so, I had some extra luggage since I'd be there for the next couple of years.

6. Re: Restrictions on luggage in regional trains

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, August 18, 2015