We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Stuttgart, Wuzburg and Rothenburg Options

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
77 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Stuttgart, Wuzburg and Rothenburg Options

Hi,

From Berlin, I would like to visit Wurzburg, Rothenburg and maybe Baden-Baden. However, I'm not sure where I should base myself in. I checked out Google Maps and realised that Stuttgart is within 2 hours drive from all 3 towns that I want to visit. Would Stuttgart be a good base to visit all these places? Alternatively, should I go to Wurzburg from Berlin, then to Rothenburg, and finally to Baden-Baden? But that entails moving my luggage from one place to another, which I'm not very fond of.

I'm planning to leave Berlin on 22 Sep for any of the 3 places and need to get to Zurich on 26 Sep 14.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Boston...
Level Contributor
228 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Stuttgart, Wuzburg and Rothenburg Options

I am looking at a similar itinerary, and was thinking about basing myself in Augsburg....

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Stuttgart, Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
14,465 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Stuttgart, Wuzburg and Rothenburg Options

All these places are easily driveable from Stuttgart ( www.viamichelin.com ), whereas Augsburg is not centrally located. For things to see in and around Stuttgart, have a look at what I wrote in #1 of tripadvisor.com/…49932873 .

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
77 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Stuttgart, Wuzburg and Rothenburg Options

Thanks very much for the link, it is very insightful. I think I'll base myself in Stuttgart for Day 1, visit the Ritter Sport Factory Museum and Mercedes Benz Museum. For the 2nd day, I'll drive to Wurzburg in the morning, then to Rothenburg in the afternoon and back to Stuttgart in the evening.

For the 3rd day, I'm split between going to Heidelberg, Baden-Baden or Black Forest. What would be the recommendation for a first timer with only a day to spare?

Thanks.

Karlsruhe, Germany
Destination Expert
for Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
9,560 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Stuttgart, Wuzburg and Rothenburg Options

Why don't you stay in the places that you want to visit, instead of a flairless modern city two hours away? Stay in Würzburg, one day for Würzburg, one day trip to Rothenburg. Then move on to Baden-Baden or somewhere in the area. Why waste precious time driving.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Stuttgart, Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
14,465 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Stuttgart, Wuzburg and Rothenburg Options

From Stuttgart to Baden-Baden, take the A8 to Pforzheim and then drive through the Black Forest. It will be only slightly longer than if there were no traffic problems on the autobahns and you'll see some scenery. When returning, take Hwy 500, the Black Forest High Road to Freudenstadt, then head east to the A81 autobahn back to Stuttgart.

If you stay at the City Hotel in central Stuttgart, they have limited free parking.

And of course, those drives don't have to be a waste of time, such as what I just mentioned above. Between Stuttgart and Rothenburg ob der Tauber are such excellent places to visit as Schwaebisch Hall ( www.schwaebischhall.de ), Vellberg ( www.vellberg.de ), and the unique walled fortified medieval (Gross)comburg Monastery (in www.schloesser-und-gaerten.de ), actually a large medieval church and monastery within a large medieval castle. Places that I enjoy as much or more than Rothenburg itself.

With only a day to spare, I wouldn't go to any of those places you mentioned. I would visit my favorite town in Germany, Tuebingen and nextdoor medieval Bebenhausen Monastery, and then head west past Reutlingen and get in Hwy 312 and do part of the drive I described near the bottom of the earlier post. Lichtenstein Castle is my favorite to revisit and those sights further on are also excellent. We frequently used to take visitors to the Ritter SPORT factory, Tuebingen, Bebenhausen Monastery and Lichtenstein Castle on the same day which is a pleasant blend of things to see and do, and I never tired of revisiting these places. Dir Forelle Weinstube in Tuebingen is an excellent place to have lunch, it's Tuebingen's best restaurant. Or visit Germany's largest perfectly-preserved palace in Ludwigsburg. There's enough there to last you several days, and the English language afternoon tours are the longest (1.5-2.5 hours) and best palace tours that I've had in all of Europe.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
77 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Stuttgart, Wuzburg and Rothenburg Options

Thanks marcopoliko! It was great stuff!

7. Re: Stuttgart, Wuzburg and Rothenburg Options

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:15 am, June 18, 2015