We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Eurail Pass

Perth
2 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Eurail Pass

EURAIL PASS? Is this the cost effective way for my wife and I to travel by train from Munich to Regensburg and then west to Donaueschingen, before we cycle for two weeks down to Vienna. From Vienna to Berlin; then Paris; to Bergerac and back to Paris before returning to Australia. I guess we are looking for 1st class tickets, with sleeper/couchet bookings on fast train for the longer hourney (Vienna-Berlin-Paris). Are there any pitfalls associated with the purchase of a Eurail Pass for this type of itinerary? signed: irregular european traveller

sydney
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
18,837 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Eurail Pass

NO ... not even close to the most cost effective

you should check out : www.seat61.com - everything you ever wanted to know about trains everywhere

and then use the search box (directly above your original post and at the top of each forum page) search for 'eurail' and you will find dozens of posts - 99.9999999% of them will advise against the eurail pass and that you book directly with the national railway in each country

for germany this is www.bahn.de - change to english at the top (click on the little flag - and since there is no Oz - put in antarctica) play around with your various rail journeys and yo will soon see how cheaply you can buy train tickets - particularly if you know your travel dates and can book the advance purchase 'specials' fares (up to 92 days in advance)

just by way of example - I bought 6 weeks worth of train trips in Germany for my hubby and I and paid less for both of us than I would have paid for one eurail pass.

eurail passes are no longer the cheap and easy way to travel - trouble is that aussie travel agents still continue to recommend them - probably because of the big fat commission they earn

as you do your forum searches you will see the links to the various national rail companies in the rest of europe - if for some reason you don't come across them check out the train forum - and search there tripadvisor.com.au/ShowForum-g1-i12483-Train…

hope this gets you started

cheers

helen

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Berlin
Level Contributor
6,026 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Eurail Pass

Hear hear, Helen.

Anne & Tom, please forget the Eurail pass. It's generally very poor value, and you will still have to pay supplements on high-speed trains and sleeping berths. The advice above is spot on.

Adelaide
Level Contributor
4,621 posts
205 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Eurail Pass

Anne and Tom, Trip Advisor has a forum dedicated to rail travel:

tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g1-i12483-Train_Tr…

Have a browse through that and search there for Eurail. Given the two replies you've already got, the results shouldn't surprise you. For example, a Eurail pass is next to useless in France where reserved seat supplements and strict pass quotas apply.

Advance purchase from the national rail carriers is definitely the way to go, if possible. Also in Europe the difference between first and second class is usually pretty minimal. Unless you can get a really good deal on a first class seat, it's not worth paying the extra.

Any train specific questions about your trip, start a new thread in the train travel forums I listed above. It's all been done before and there are a lot of experts in that forum ready and more than willing to help with the finer details; even down to how to collect your tickets.

And if you're using an Aussie travel agent, beware of any advice they give regarding train travel in Europe. Sad to say, they collectively know next to nothing on the subject, and will happily sell you Eurail or Rail Europe tickets that cost an arm and a leg. Of course that's where their commission comes from. And I forgot to mention, stay well away from Rail Europe too.

Perth
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Eurail Pass

thanks heaps!

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
38,842 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Eurail Pass

Munich - Regensburg

Bayern Ticket (Bavaria Ticket) EUR 27 for 2 persons

bahn.de/i/…bavaria-ticket.shtml

Regensburg - Donaueschingen

Schönes-Wochenende-Ticket (EUR 44) or Quer-durchs-Land-Ticket (EUR 52)

bahn.de/i/…regionalangebote-uebersicht.shtml

These are tickets you can buy on spot. They restrict you to regional trains. But for these 2 routes this is of no disadvantage.

DB timetable

http://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query.exe/en

Start: München Hbf (or just "M")

Destination: Regensburg Hbf (or just "R")

Destination: Donaueschingen

and select as means of transport "only local transport" if you want to use the above mentioned tickets.

For Vienna to Berlin and Berlin to Paris you can save if you buy tickets in advance. This is possible from 92 days in advance. You can use again the DB timetable (but now with the default "All" for the means of transport).

6. Re: Eurail Pass

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, February 25, 2015