We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

BahnCARD for Family of 4

Washington, DC
6 posts
Save Topic
BahnCARD for Family of 4

Hi everyone-

My family and I are travelling from Paris to Copenhagen in April.

We are travelling through Germany and are therefore booking our trains on bahn.de

Here's my question:

We are a family of 4, Mom, Dad, and 2 kids ages 8 and 10. We are travelling Paris to Hamburg then Hamburg to Copenhagen on the CNL and ICE trains respectively

1.How do I go about determining if a Bahncard makes sense for us?

2. Do I order one for every member of the family?

3. Can I have them delivered to our US address. I would think there would be ample time as we aren't leaving until April 2014.

4. Any other obstacles/ suggestions ?

Thanks

Mentioned in this post
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Copenhagen
Copenhagen
Zealand, Denmark
April
April
218 Reviews
Berlin, Germany
Germany
Germany
Europe
Hamburg
Hamburg
Germany
Mannheim, Germany
Destination Expert
for Zurich, Mannheim
Level Contributor
14,347 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: BahnCARD for Family of 4

1. Compare the price (for a date 3 months from now for cheapest tickets) with and without BahnCard, then see whether the savings are larger than the cost of a BahnCard

2. You buy one normal BC and one partner card (1/2 of the standard BC price). Your kids travel for free with you within Germany anyway, no idea about the French part of the trip.

3. Of course you can ask them to be delivered to USA for an extra postage fee. Don't forget to cancel the cards at least 6 weeks before the end of their validity in writing, otherwise they are a yearly subscription.

Mentioned in this post
Germany
Germany
Europe
Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
39,928 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: BahnCARD for Family of 4

1. As said by comparing the prices by checking them pretending having BahnCards and not.

2. Think the kids are free with both legs. But you can also check this comparing the prices for 2 adults and for all 4 for you. But you would need a BahnCard for both adults.

There are often offers for "starter" BahnCards valid just 4 months instead of one year.

3. BahnCards will be always shipped to your home address. Without any extra fee.

You can already buy tickets with a BahnCard discount without having it. You only need the BahnCard when traveling. Not when buying the ticket.

3. Re: BahnCARD for Family of 4

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, January 22, 2015