We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

DB Mobile App Train Tickets

South Pole
Level Contributor
111 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
DB Mobile App Train Tickets

I'm purchasing a ticket from Copenhagen to Lubeck, and I'm curious about the ticketing options...

I've read on the forums that some people have bad experiences with a print-at-home ticket, and I don't want to pay extra for an actual ticket to be mailed to me,,,

Has anyone tried the "Mobile phone ticket" option with the DB Navigator App? If so, was it a success?

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Berlin
Level Contributor
5,629 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: DB Mobile App Train Tickets

I've only ever printed at home and it's worked fine. Remember that if your smartphone battery dies, you'll be considered as travelling without a ticket.

Frankfurt
Level Contributor
536 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: DB Mobile App Train Tickets

I have never had any bad experiences with the print at home ticket and I have been using it for well over ten years.

I have used the mobile app a few times in the last couple of months (most recently last week) and it also works fine.

Just make sure that you are carrying the card that you specified as an ID and your Bahncard if you have one.

Edited: 7:36 am, January 01, 2014
Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
36,928 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: DB Mobile App Train Tickets

Most problems with the print-at-home Online-Tickets are with the required ID (possible are: credit card, Maestro card, BahnCard or the ID cards of a few European countries). ID forgotten, stolen, lost etc.

On this aspect there are however no differences using a (mobile phone) Handy-Ticket which requires to choose among exactly the same allowed ID cards.

bahn.de/p/…handy-ticket.shtml

An Online-Ticket (printed) and a Handy-Ticket (on your mobile phone) are only valid together with the chosen ID card.

South Pole
Level Contributor
111 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: DB Mobile App Train Tickets

Thanks for all the help... I guess I'm just eager to test the future of a paperless society :-D

My trip will be early in the morning, so battery is not going to be an issue... but considering I lost my last phone on a trip, I guess printing-at-home is my best option!

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
36,928 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: DB Mobile App Train Tickets

The newest option is ticket less and called "touch & travel".

http://www.touchandtravel.de/

You need a smart phone and a SIM card with one of the four German mobile phone network providers (T-Mobile, Vodafone, O2, E-Plus). Information is only in German available. And payment is only by direct debit (Lastschrift). Thus so far not really any option for tourists.

Works with long distance trains of DB (German Rail) and in some local public transport associations. You just say with the appropriate app on your smartphone "now I'm starting my trip" and "now I've finished my trip". Interesting for local public transport trips. And BahnCard 50 holders. I.e. in cases where buying tickets in advance is of no advantage or anyway not offered at all.

Has the advantage that you never have the wrong ticket. And that you'll get automatically the cheapest ticket. E.g. with local public transport as soon as a day ticket will be less than single trip tickets you'll be charged the day ticket price.

South Pole
Level Contributor
111 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: DB Mobile App Train Tickets

I'm trying to book, but it's giving me this error:

Your reservation request cannot be satisfied.

It is not possible to book one or more reservations in accordance with your request. These items are marked in red.

Please decide how you wish to continue:

Do you wish to reserve a seat for the connections marked in red, even though they do not match your request?

Book despite deviation from requested reservation.

Do you wish to make no seat reservations for the entire journey?

Booking without reservation

Does this mean I can book the ticket, but I just can't reserve a specific seat?

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
36,928 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: DB Mobile App Train Tickets

Did you specify and reservation wishes e.g. for "Compartment type" or "Location of the seat"?

Try it while keeping the defaults "any" for the reservation.

Another source for problems could be the fact that the reservation has to be done real time in the background with two reservation systems in your case. I.e. with the one of DB and the one of DBB (Danish Railways). If the external booking fails the DB system tends to give just rather generic error messages.

South Pole
Level Contributor
111 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: DB Mobile App Train Tickets

I think that's it! I picked window and quiet zone etc... haha thanks!!

South Pole
Level Contributor
111 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: DB Mobile App Train Tickets

Hmm that still didn't work:

Outward journey Station/Stop Date Time Products Reservation request

Noerreport st

Lübeck Hbf Mo, 17.03.2014 07:30 11:37 ICE 38 reservation impossible

Should I just book without reservation?

Edited: 9:31 pm, January 01, 2014
London, United...
Destination Expert
for Berlin
Level Contributor
5,629 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: DB Mobile App Train Tickets

If you're starting in Denmark, DSB may have a different reservation window from DB. This happens on the Berlin-Warsaw train as well, which is operated by DB and PKP.