We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Berlin - Neuschwanstein castle - Freiburg

Beirut, Lebanon
1 post
Save Topic
Berlin - Neuschwanstein castle - Freiburg

Hello,

me and my friend are planning a trip next year to germany we are planning to fly to berlin spend a week there and than travel by train to see neuschwanstein castle stay there or somewhere close for 2-3 days than also by train to freiburg spend 3-4 days and than go back home by plane. I need some help on figuring out the cheapest way to do all that. Is it a good plan so far or is there a cheaper alternative and which city should we stay in when visiting the castle and which airport is closer to freiburg for when we have to go home. I keep searching online and i have found a few helpful informations but i need to know more. If you can give me some advice on how to do all that the cheapest way possible when it comes to transportation i would very very much appreciate it because i am about to pop a vein in my brain. Thank you.

greeley, CO
Level Contributor
3,226 posts
593 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Berlin - Neuschwanstein castle - Freiburg

For your long distance trains, get tickets and reserve sets 92 days in advance for best prices.

Paradise, California
Destination Expert
for Rhineland-Palatinate
Level Contributor
7,138 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Berlin - Neuschwanstein castle - Freiburg

"Berlin - Neuschwanstein castle - Freiburg"

" I need some help on figuring out the cheapest way to do all that. Is it a good plan so far or is there a cheaper alternative and which city should we stay in when visiting the castle and which airport is closer to freiburg for when we have to go home."

Your plans are popping my brain veins too. To avoid wasting a lot of time on ground travel and to keep your trip inexpensive, I suggest that you reconsider your itinerary after Berlin.

"...and than travel by train to see neuschwanstein castle stay there or somewhere close for 2-3 days..."

It will take you 9 hours or more to travel by train from Berlin to Neuschwanstein (which is NOT a castle at all but a late 19th-century palace.) From there to Freiburg will require 6-7 hours. The $16-tour of N'stein lasts only 30 minutes.

You say you have 5-7 days after Berlin... well, I don't see the point of spending nearly two days on the train and many € to do that. Once you leave Berlin, there are many, many excellent options for getting to know Germany, options that do not require you to criss-cross the country by train and will take you to places that are more interesting than tourist-heavy N'stein and Freiburg.

Since you don't yet know what airport will you depart from, you are not locked into this itinerary. If you're open to new ideas, let us know. What are your interests? What sorts of places and experiences do you want to include?

3. Re: Berlin - Neuschwanstein castle - Freiburg

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, December 25, 2014