We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dinner for one?

India
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
5,578 posts
173 reviews
Save Topic
Dinner for one?

Sorry I know this is not strictly travel related....maybe! But bear with me......

I saw a programme the other day which mentioned the sketch of 'Dinner for one' which is popular in Germany (??) at Christmas and is on TV at this time.

Curious I downloaded it and watched it last night, must say it was very funny and fantastic for its time and found it quite surprising that we had never heard about it before.

So, its it true that's its popular and when is it on??????

Hamburg, Germany
Level Contributor
1,338 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dinner for one?

It is on on NYE and yes it is popular. :-)

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
39,858 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Dinner for one?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dinner_for_One

> which is popular in Germany (??)

German speaking countries, Nordic countries, Australia, ...

It is the most frequently repeated TV programme ever.

> at Christmas and is on TV at this time.

Not at Christmas but at New Years Eve. It is shown by basically all Third Channels (ARD's public regional stations) at different times. Thus with cable or sat TV you can watch it in Germany easily several times on NYE.

Karlsruhe, Germany
Destination Expert
for Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
10,541 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Dinner for one?

“Dinner For One” is a rather old (1960s?) British TV sketch with Freddie Frinton and May Warden. In Britain, the 11 minute movie is almost forgotten. In Germany, however, it is a cult classic and New Year’s Eve is unthinkable without it. All Third Canals broadcast it once or twice that night. You can easily watch it half a dozen times that evening if you want to. This is about the only film shown on German TV in English with neither dubbing nor subtitles. Everyone knows the story of Miss Sophie and her butler James by heart.

Miss Sophie, a rich English lady, is celebrating her 90th birthday. As usual, she has invited her four old friends and faithful admirers for dinner. Unfortunately there is a little problem… All four are long deceased, the last of them died 20 years ago. The butler, who is hardly younger than she is, has to play all four of them, respond to the toasts (“Same procedure as last year, Miss Sophie?” – “Same procedure as every year, James!”) and… drink for four. From course to course he gets more and more drunk, which leads to hilarious incidents. Miss Sophie is a lady, though, who always keeps her countenance…

Yes it is on YouTube!

www.youtube.com/watch…

Mainz, Germany
Level Contributor
9,982 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dinner for one?

You can quote any line of that sketch in any conversation in Germany and everyone would get it. It is really part of NYE like fireworks and sparkling wine!

Frankfurt, Germany
Level Contributor
5,153 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dinner for one?

No NYE without James, Miss Sophie, Mr. Winterbottom and Mr. Pommeroy - same procedure as every year.

It's a tradition, festivities can't start without "Dinner for One"

As far as I know it originally was a comedy show in some seaside town on the English coast. A German entertainer (Peter Frankenfeld) was there for holiday and asked the actors if they could record the show for German Television. It's been screened on NYE for as long as I can remember.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Berlin
Level Contributor
6,204 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Dinner for one?

Same procedure as EVERY year, James!

Karlsruhe, Germany
Destination Expert
for Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
10,541 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Dinner for one?

"I declare the bazaar open!"

Frankfurt, Germany
Level Contributor
5,153 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Dinner for one?

"brrrrrrr .... kill that cat!"

Karlsruhe, Germany
Destination Expert
for Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
10,541 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Dinner for one?

"Skål!"

India
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
5,578 posts
173 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Dinner for one?

.....Lost for words! Did not know how popular it was thanks for all your input...!

Shall watch on NYE as tradition, but shall watch it in Vienna as we will be there for NYE,.

No-one we know has ever seen it in the UK, but an interview with the butlers daughtr on TV which I watched says he was a tee-totaller! And the poor tiger rug had to be replaced a few times due to the wear and tear..

Mentioned in this post
Vienna
Vienna
Vienna Region, Austria