We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help with German phrase please?

USA
Level Contributor
129 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Help with German phrase please?

What would be the correct phrase/question in German to ask someone to take our picture? Is it polite to offer a German person your camera, and ask them to take your photo (so both of us can be in the photo together) ?? or is that not commonly done in Germany. Here in the U.S. it's quite common to ask strangers to take your photo (with your own camera) but we wouldn't want to do anything that's not acceptable in Germany.

If it's ok to do this what words should we say to them (other than bitte and danke of course).

Thanks!

Best Seller
Royal Castles of Neuschwanstein and...
4,319 Reviews
from $64.60*
Best Seller
Small-Group Neuschwanstein and...
456 Reviews
from $142.50*
Best Seller
Neuschwanstein Castle Small-Group Day...
1,878 Reviews
from $58.70*
Germany
Level Contributor
2,968 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help with German phrase please?

Yes, it is common here in Germany as well. The German phrase would be: "Würden Sie bitte ein Foto von uns machen?" But almost everyone would understand if you just smile and point at your camera and then at yourselves.

USA
Level Contributor
129 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help with German phrase please?

Thanks! I understand all of the words you gave me except "Wurden" (don't know how to make an umlaut on my keyboard). We actually used a dictionary last summer (our teenaged kids looked up the words for "will you take our picture") but when we thought about it later on we decided the translation of that odd sentence we came up with probably meant "will you steal my art?".

I appreciate your help by giving me something that Germans will understand. The smiling and pointing should work, but we really like to try and speak a little of the language too.

Mannheim, Germany
Destination Expert
for Zurich, Mannheim
Level Contributor
14,814 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help with German phrase please?

>(don't know how to make an umlaut on my keyboard)

You can replace the umlauts like this if you don't have them on the keyboard:

ä->ae

ö->oe

ü->ue

it is also necessary to use this combinations in the most train/driving planner software, as for example "Fussen" is something completely different from "Füssen", while "Fuessen" is OK.

Sorry, it's a common question on this forum - I thought I will pre-empt :-)

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Stuttgart, Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
15,568 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help with German phrase please?

Adding to what altamiro said:

ß = ss

That will cover all the unusual letters.

If you are in touristy areas, most of the other people there may also be tourists. Just ask someone that is speaking English.

Freiburg im...
Level Contributor
2,799 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Help with German phrase please?

Würde means would. (As a substantive it means "dignity", too)

The trap you were caught in was the word take. In German you "make" pictures. And picture means a painting as well.

Wichita, Kansas
Destination Expert
for Wichita, Kansas
Level Contributor
4,099 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help with German phrase please?

Here is a website that does a good job at translating common phrases.

http://babelfish.altavista.com/

Würden Sie bitte ein Foto von uns machen?

Would you make please a photo of us?

Would you please take a photo of us?

Würden Sie bitte ein Foto von uns nehmen?

Umlauts. For a Mac keyboard, option u is accent mark ¨, option i is ˆ , option e is ´ and option n is ˜. Hold down option and then type e i u or n to get the accent mark and then type the vowel a e i o u or n that you want to accent without holding down the option key.

To get an umlaut u, hold down the option key and type u to get the ¨ and then type u again without holding down the option key. This places the u under the ¨ to make a ü. München Füssen

To get an umlaut a, hold down the option key and type u to get the ¨ and then type a without holding down the option key. This places the a under the ¨ to make a ä.

Works the same for ö ñ

For capital letters, hold down the option key and type u to get the ¨ and then type shift U again without holding down the option key. This places the u under the ¨ to make a Ü.

€ is option shift 2

£ is option 3

German double s ß is option s

Spanish ¿ is option shift ?

For PC’s/Microsoft systems umlauts read through this posting tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187275-i116-k2769…

Stuttgart
Level Contributor
11 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help with German phrase please?

Don't hesitate to ask a stranger to take your picture. It's less common than in the U.S., but perfectly acceptable.

8. Re: Help with German phrase please?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:18 pm, August 14, 2009