We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Question about Germany

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
98 posts
Save Topic
Question about Germany

1-I heard that things there are expensive. It is true? (I also heard the same thing about Japan but I was able to go there twice!)

2-Are people friendly in Germany? Will they hate if i'm a blackman from Canada?

Hanau, Germany
Level Contributor
2,340 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Question about Germany

Never was in Japan, but hear that's expensive, also I don't know prices in Canada so can't compare.

I don't think Germany is very expensive, you can get good and cheap food, some places cheaper than others, like south Germany is cheaper if you stick to the dayly menue, a good private bed runs from 50 - 70,-- €, if you get a bunk bed in a hostel even cheaper, but you can get high end accom. too running 1000,-- € or above a night.

I don't think anywhere a black man will be hated, in the west we're pretty used to them form the canadian and US armee, in the east less so but nobody will hate you, why should we?

How friendly we are another tourist has to tell you, but since I don't read major complaints here I guess we as germans do a pretty good job making people feel welcome.

Guess it's just like in Canada depends how you act and who you run into.

Frankfurt, Germany
Level Contributor
4,519 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Question about Germany

We live in the 21st century. Racism is not tolerated in Germany.

There are of course people who have different "attitudes", especially in the eastern part of Germany. But you'll find that kind of people in Canada as well.

Is Germany expensive? That's a good question and hard to answer because I only calculate the other way round. In the USA many things are cheaper than in Germany. But I also thought that Canada was extremely expensive compared to the US.

If you are planning on driving here. Gas is WAY more expensive in Germany than in North America.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
98 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Question about Germany

Thanks for the reply guys.

I'm going to travel by train.I plan to go to Berlin first.Probably going to check the other coties but nothing is detailed yet.

Frankfurt, Germany
Level Contributor
5,133 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Question about Germany

1) Compared to the UK, Belgium and Switzerland for example, it's cheap.

2) I don't think you'll have any problems being black. However, there are idiots everywhere in the world.

5. Re: Question about Germany

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:20 am, July 25, 2014