We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

I need help...first trip (Frankfort to Warsaw in 8 days)

Brookfield, Illinois
Level Contributor
45 posts
134 reviews
Save Topic
I need help...first trip (Frankfort to Warsaw in 8 days)

This will be my first time in Germany and due to work I only have 8 short days. So I would leave O'hare on OCT 11th and come back the 19th. (any airline tips would be GREATLY appreciated as well.

Right now this is what I have in mind for myself and my wife. Fly into Frankfurt Oct 11th. (not sure what to do in Frankfurt?) We then (the day of or after) want to drive to the Alternative Bear and wolf park in Worbis. After that, I also am interested in the Lynx relocation program in the Harz National Park. I would love to maybe contact a forest ranger to talk to them and see where they release the lynx to talk to as I run a wildlife video page on YouTube. If not, just to see the beautiful forest would be nice for a day or two.

Then we are planning to drive up to Berlin. I want to do a Sachsenhausen Camp Walking Tour one day and then the next visit many Berlin sites like the Zoo, (I heard the other Tier park might be better) and the Brandenburg gate to take photos of the older historical sites. I also would love to shop at a record store or two. (I collect rock/alternative records) Then for the last day or two I guess since it is very hard and expensive to bring a rental car east, we would take the overnight train to Warsaw and the next day hang out in Warsaw..maybe see their zoo. I know I will not have time to see much of the countryside in both Germany and Poland, but I will only have 10 days to fly there and back which isn't great. We would fly home from Warsaw then.

If any of you know of any good places (B and B's or 2-3 star hotels) to stay or visit, please let me know. and also what rental car company is the best for Germany. Thanks for any help as this is my first Germany/Poland trip and I am feeling lost. I hope to book things later next week.

Gambrills, MD
Destination Expert
for Fussen
Level Contributor
2,969 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: I need help...first trip (Frankfort to Warsaw in 8 days)

The car rental company I recommend is Gemut. It is a wholesaler based in Oregon but specializing in German and Austrian car rentals. Their prices are competitive and customer service is outstanding. Once somehow I was double-billed by the rental company. All I had to do was email Gemut and they removed the duplicate billing without any hassle at all.

You seem to have an interest in animals. Perhaps you would be interested in the wild boars in Berlin?

npr.org/2012/…in-berlin-a-boar-of-a-story

Frankfurt
Destination Expert
for Frankfurt
Level Contributor
5,558 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: I need help...first trip (Frankfort to Warsaw in 8 days)

If you leave Chicago on the 11th, you won't get to Frankfurt until the 12th. So, you only have 7 days to travel around and sight-see.

For Frankfurt, since you have an interest in animals, you could visit the Zoo or if you have time, go outside of Frankfurt towards Bad Homburg and visit the Opel Zoo. You can also check the Things to Do section up at the top of your screen, to see what historical sites or tours might interest you. The city forest here is about 11,000 acres and I know they have a foresters house, with info about the animals that live there and a Fasanerie, but I haven't gone to it personally. Frankfurt has its' share of wild animals, like foxes, (the main cemetery has about 20 foxes living in it) herons, geese and in the forest, wild pigs.

stadtwaldhaus-frankfurt.de/gesch/framege.htm

There are lots of record stores around where you can still buy 2nd hand vinyl records.

For a B&B type place for Frankfurt, check Air B-n-b for some bargain places.

Frankfurt
Level Contributor
535 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: I need help...first trip (Frankfort to Warsaw in 8 days)

I think you might be trying to do a little too much. Maybe rethink your itinerary and see whether you can really fit all of that into 8 days. Though I am from Frankfurt and love having people come here, in yuor case it might be worth considering flying straight to Berlin.

There is an interesting wolf project in the Lausitz which is pretty easy to reach from Berlin and is also sort of on the way to Poland (website only in German: http://www.wolfsregion-lausitz.de/). They do tours and you can meet the rangers. I went there a couple of years ago and it was quite interesting.

Edited: 5:39 am, April 07, 2013
Brookfield, Illinois
Level Contributor
45 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: I need help...first trip (Frankfort to Warsaw in 8 days)

Thanks for the tips, I spent the last hours booking nice hotels and b and b's and the such. Thanks for the tips on the wild Berlin boars and the Frankfurt foxes., and yes I plan to visit the Frankfurt Zoo, Berlin Zoo, and Warsaw Zoo. My drives are 1-3 hours a day, so not too bad at all. I am having a bit of a problem finding out the exact info on the overnight train from Berlin to Warsaw..so many train co's and the such but not one web site I have found has stated where/when they leave out of Berlin (Berlin Ostbahnhof ?) and where/when they arrive in Warsaw?, so I am confused. I think they stated you can't book the train anyway until you are 60 days out..but all these web sites are confusing and not one seems to show the overnight train route from Berlin to Warsaw in full detail. I also am wondering if you can drop off a rental car at the Berlin train station.

5. Re: I need help...first trip (Frankfort to Warsaw in 8 days)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:19 am, April 17, 2014