We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best city to apartment stay with two boys (4 and 2) Germany?

Las Palmas de Gran...
2 posts
Save Topic
Best city to apartment stay with two boys (4 and 2) Germany?

Hi, I need your help! We have a roughly a week that we are meeting up with my Inlaws from Australia, they finish their boat cruise in Budapest and don't start their next tour till the next week, in Frankfurt. Our thoughts are to get a great apartment for the week and do some day trips to some wineries, castles, Forrest walks, traditional German villages, churches etc; if are any beer festivals on perhaps...I have heard they are very accommodating to children also. So, in short, I need help in choosing the right city to base out of to be able to take advantage of the best that Germany has to offer....we will hire a car for our stay..our dates are 23rd June- 1july...roughly.. I look forward to your comments. Thank you ;)

Gambrills, MD
Destination Expert
for Fussen
Level Contributor
2,922 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best city to apartment stay with two boys (4 and 2) Germany?

Instead of staying in a city apartment, since you will have a car, you might consider a farm stay. Many German farms rent out furnished apartments or rooms and are very family friendly, with playgrounds, trampolines, little pedal cars and of course farm animals. Farm stays are also very reasonably priced. We stayed at this beautiful place south of Munich in the Alps.

www.demelhof.de/index.php…

Here's the website for farm stays in Bavaria. http://english.bauernhof-urlaub.com/

greeley, CO
Level Contributor
2,430 posts
389 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best city to apartment stay with two boys (4 and 2) Germany?

here's another place to look for family friendly farms

…bauernhof-urlaub.com/product_lines/…

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Stuttgart, Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
14,167 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best city to apartment stay with two boys (4 and 2) Germany?

A different vacation-on-the-farm website: www.urlaub-bauernhof.de . For apartments in cities, the cities websites can be found at www.PLACENAME.de, just use the actual place name preferably in German. If you can't at first change to English, go to Tourismus where you may be given another chance.

Las Palmas de Gran...
2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Best city to apartment stay with two boys (4 and 2) Germany?

Thank you emilysmom2003, bigtyke, and maropolko. I totally agree with the farm stay option, and Munich is exactly where i wanted to go (i will use your ideas for our next German holiday as a family)...BUT, the INLAWS live on something similar in Australia and would prefer to stay in a city...and we can go exploring together or separately but be able to spend the mornings/late afternoon/evenings with us...i am sure that this means they will get to go to great museums, art galleries etc etc, while we tour all the playgrounds in the city...and this to me doensn't sound like a holiday, it sounds like hard work..sigh...I read a fantastic post regarding Stuttgart from you Marcopolko, from a few years back, it was very insightful and it seems that there are indeed lots of small towns, castles etc that we could manage in day trips...do you think this idea would work from Stuttgart? or Can any other authors share some constructive thoughts/ideas? I am open to visiting all German Cities...

Thank you :)

MA
Destination Expert
for New England
Level Contributor
6,100 posts
189 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best city to apartment stay with two boys (4 and 2) Germany?

Look at Nuremberg. The Playmobil Park is a short distance from the city. Do your kids like Playmobil? The city also has a castle in the old part of the town with lots of swords, armor and knights. The Toy Museum is a great place with a play room for kids on the top floor and a hidden playground outside with a courtyard where you can lunch at the museum cafe while the kids watch the outdoor electric train. Th Altstadt is compact and very walkable with a couple good gelato place and an outdoor market.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
14,167 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best city to apartment stay with two boys (4 and 2) Germany?

Information on Stuttgart can be found at www.stuttgart-tourist.de , which also has accommodation options including apartments. The only apartments I'm familiar with are the ones at Alex30 Hostel ( http://www.alex30-hostel.de/en/ ), which are on the top floors and there is no elevator, but I like the location as I used to live across the street from it.

Information on things to do and see in and around Stuttgart:

tripadvisor.com/…46656711

Things with a child:

tripadvisor.com/…17852295

#1 and #2 of tripadvisor.com/…23053925

#1 of tripadvisor.com/…25427487

Amusement parks:

#3 of tripadvisor.com/…26108027

Quebec City
Level Contributor
592 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best city to apartment stay with two boys (4 and 2) Germany?

I am completely biased on Berlin. You could have a great apartment, your inlaws would have tons of museums to visit, there are a lot of places and things you can do with kids, you can visit Potsdam (Kids can play in the parks while inlaws visit inside the palaces and etc.) But like I said, I'm very much biased, I am 100% in love with Berlin.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
14,167 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best city to apartment stay with two boys (4 and 2) Germany?

I see that your vacation is in July. One of the best events that I like in Germany isn't one that most tourists have heard of, but the Schützenfest in Biberach an der Riss which is 40km from Memmingen. This week long festival has historic parades, children's theater, and rides and food at a park on the Gigelberg. Look what I wrote about it and things to do in the area in #1 and #3 of tripadvisor.com/…38434059 , but this is for last year so check the dates this year on one of the appropriate websites that are given.

9. Re: Best city to apartment stay with two boys (4 and 2) Germany?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, April 04, 2014