We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rail Pass Germany

San Diego...
Level Contributor
23 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Rail Pass Germany

I will be attending World Cup games in Frankfurt, Munich and Stuggart. Between matches I have 2-3 day gap. My point is I will be doing a lot of traveling while in Germany and I plan to buy a rail pass:

Price List: For Youth 2nd class

4 days in 1 month $ 163.00

Additional Rail Days $ 13.00

raileurope.com/us/…german_rail_youth_pass.htm

Are these good prices or should I look somewhere else?

Is there a big difference between 1st and 2nd class?

Maybe a dumb question, but is it possible to make reservations to guarantee seats?

Are there safe lockers at the train stations?

Are there signs in English at the train stations?

Thanks for all your help in advance.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
23 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Rail Pass Germany

I want to thank all of you who have responded. You have been very helpful. I am going to buy the world cup rail pass, this way I am not limited to number of times I can travel and start making reservations now.

Thank you all, I can not wait to visit your beatiful country.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
245 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Rail Pass Germany

Abalada,

This is my itinerary. Prices are P2P prices from www.bahn.de for single tickets

1. Dortmund - Speyer (82 EUR)

2. Speyer - Stuttgart (35 EUR)

3. Stuttgart - Munich (40 EUR)

4. Munich - Fussen - Munich (40 EUR)

5. Munich - Salzburg - Munich (50 EUR)

6. Munich - Frankfurt (75 EUR)

Total 322 EUR worth of rail travel per person!!!

There will be 3 or 4 of us so we are thinking getting a 6-day rail passes would be worthwhile. However, somebody pointed me to the "Bayernkart" which allows up to 5 persons on route #5 for only 25 EUR! This would probably apply to route #4 as well?? What's the catch? Should we just get the 4-day pass and take advantage of the Bavarian ticket offer for the Fussen and Salzburg day trip?

Thanks in advance.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
245 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Rail Pass Germany

Sorry, I meant "Bayerntakt", NOT "bayernkart", but i'm sure you know what I was talking about :-)

Mannheim, Germany
Destination Expert
for Zurich, Mannheim
Level Contributor
13,939 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Rail Pass Germany

>There will be 3 or 4 of us so we are thinking getting a 6-day rail passes would be worthwhile. However, somebody pointed me to the "Bayernkart" which allows up to 5 persons on route #5 for only 25 EUR! This would probably apply to route #4 as well??

Of course - Füssen is in Bavaria as well.

>What's the catch?

The catch is that you can only use slower local trains (no IC or ICE), and that on weekdays (Mo-Fr) you can only use the Bayern-Ticket after 9 o'clock (so you don't get into the way of commuters). On the Munich-Salzburg route every second train is local one - RE or RB - and it takes 1/2 h longer than an Intercity train. On te route to Füssen there are only local ones.

>Should we just get the 4-day pass and take advantage of the Bavarian ticket offer for the Fussen and Salzburg day trip?

Sounds like the most reasonable decision.

>Sorry, I meant "Bayerntakt", NOT "bayernkart", but i'm sure you know what I was talking about :-)

As abalada pointed out before, buying the "Bayerntakt" would be an expensive fun - this is the entire schedule system of trains in Bavaria. What you would need on the othe rhand is a Bayern-Ticket :-)))

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
38,552 posts
Save Reply
15. Re: Rail Pass Germany

I would also suggest the 4 days pass. And if you decide to buy in Germany, i.e. for a 5 days pass, use the Bavaria-Ticket for the trip to Füssen.

a) There are anyway only local trains on this route, i.e. you can use all trains on this route.

b) The Bavaria-Ticket covers also the bus from Füssen to Hohenschwangau. Something a German Rail Pass doesn't.

some more suggestions:

- Dortmund to Speyer

Don't use the EUR 82,00 connection, but the route via Koblenz through the Middle Rhine Valley. Takes a bit longer - but is MUCH more scenic.

http://www.talderloreley.de/index.en.php

http://www.welterbe-mittelrheintal.de/

- Neuschwanstein Castle

You can reserve tickets for a tour through the castle in advance. Otherwise you are on risk that the next guided tours are all already sold out when you arrive at Hohenschwangau.

Neuschwanstein Castle is one of the most visited sights in Germany. Even at non World Cup times. And I've the impression that everybody coming to Munich during the World Cup wants also to visit Neuschwanstein Castle.

http://www.hohenschwangau.de/546.0.html

Keep in mind, that you have to collect the reserved tickets one hour before the tour starts at the ticket booth in Hohenschwangau.

- reserve seats

for the longer legs in advance. I.e. Dormund - Speyer and Munich - Frankfurt. Probably also Stuttgart - Munich.

At best pretty soon. DB has changed their plans from originally 200 additional trains to 1000 and also asked for locos for this time in Austria. That's not that much in 4 weeks as it may sound - there over 35.000 daily trains in Germany. For me this is however an indication that they calculate with many more passengers in this time. And there are technical limits in increasing the capacity.

Thus better reserve seats now for 4 persons, even on risk that you'll loose a couple of Euro when not using all reserved seats. Seat reservation is EUR 3,00 per person and leg.

Seat reservations works like booking p2p tickets at the DB timetable

http://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query.exe/en

You just select "seat reservation only" somewhere during the booking process.

Boston
1 post
Save Reply
16. Re: Rail Pass Germany

Hi,

My wife and I are staying in germany for 3 day. Our plan is to go from Frankfurt to Heilderberg, Heidelberg to Munich, Munich to Stuttgart and from stuttgart to Frankfurt.

Here are my questions.

I am sorry if this is already answered,

can I buy a twin pass and use it on all these routes??

If I plan to travel around 11:30AM everyday, do you think I need reservation.

Can I just buy reservation after I book the pass and use it with it?

Also,I was looking for hotels in Munich and I found Jedermann Hotel. On the Hotel site they have a reservation request via email. Now I have the offer from info@ hotel-jedermann.de for credit card information to make the reservation. I never did such a booking, has any body done this with this Hotel.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Kiran

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
38,552 posts
Save Reply
17. Re: Rail Pass Germany

> can I buy a twin pass and use it on all these routes??

Yes.

The 4 day German Rail pass is however only slightly cheaper than normal tickets. But still cheaper. And more convenient.

> If I plan to travel around 11:30AM everyday, do you think I need reservation.

Unlikely.

> Can I just buy reservation after I book the pass and use it with it?

Yes. Strictly seen you can even buy reservations without having a rail pass or ticket yes. It's just important that you have a rail pass or ticket when you start your journey.

You can buy reservations online at the DB timetable.

They are however not compulsory and for a short trip like Frankfurt to Heidelberg definitly not necessary.

http://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query.exe/en

and if your journey starts/ends at Frankfurt Airport use

San Diego...
Level Contributor
23 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Rail Pass Germany

I just bought a 10 day youth (under 25) pass for $251, and I think that is a really good deal. It's a 4 day pass with an option to buy up to 6 additional days. For adult it would cost $350.

Check it out this link:

raileurope.com/us/…

They advertise now on the fifaworldcup website.