We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A Week and a Half in Germany

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
82 posts
98 reviews
Save Topic
A Week and a Half in Germany

My fiance and I are going to spend a week and a half in Germany. We would like to see some of the bigger, more famous sights, but we would also like to see some smaller places that are more "authentic" -- perhaps some castles as well. We enjoy history, good food, good beer, and good nightlife... among other things!

We would appreciate your thoughts on what places would be best for what we want!

Hamburg, Germany
Level Contributor
569 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A Week and a Half in Germany

Good beer and food can be found in many places. German cuisine is very different depending on what region you are in. For nightlife Hamburg and Berlin are good places.

When it comes to castles, Neuschwanstein is the most famous one but it is undergoing repairs in 2012 and some parts are in scaffolding, so you might want to save that for another trip. The Middle Rhine and Mosel Valleys are full of castles, but there are thousands more, however there are just very few in northern Germany.

Why not split your time and visit Berlin for a week and the Middle Rhine Valley for the rest of the days. Fly into Berlin and out of Cologne, Franfurt or Frankfurt-Hahn (which is nowhere near Frankfurt).

Paradise, California
Destination Expert
for Rhineland-Palatinate
Level Contributor
6,184 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A Week and a Half in Germany

Sounds like you got a good outline from efp53.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Munich, Amsterdam, The Ardennes
Level Contributor
7,356 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A Week and a Half in Germany

Personally my three must-sees would be:

- Munich & Bavaria

- Rhine/ Mosel valley

- Berlin

There are many other nice areas, but in general I find the south the most spectacular. But it depends what you are used to. I live in Holland, so a nice student town with many bicycles is not new for me. Neither are flat green lands for a countryside.

4. Re: A Week and a Half in Germany

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:41 pm, June 21, 2013