We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

luggage on trains

Vacaville...
Level Contributor
31 posts
1 review
Save Topic
luggage on trains

We will be taking a train from Wurzburg to Paris. I'm assuming that there are spots for luggage near the train doors. Is luggage safe for the most part or should we bring a bike lock or something to lock the luggage together or to the luggage rack? Or do we have to sit with our luggage at our seats? Thanks for the help!

Cologne, Germany
Level Contributor
526 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: luggage on trains

I cannot personn

ally guarantee for your luggage, but i am using trains very often with luggage and never secure it and I haven't ever noticed other passengers doing this. If you are want to be feel safe, store the luggage in the overhead luggage departments or take a seat near the luggage compartments next to the doors. If there are free seats that is. There's nothing wrong with using locks for even more safety.

Vacaville...
Level Contributor
31 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: luggage on trains

Thank you for your reply, aichberger. I didn't want to draw even more attention to the luggage by using a lock, and I really despise looking like a stupid tourist. It sounds like the luggage should be safe. Thanks again :)

Karlsruhe, Germany
Destination Expert
for Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
9,547 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: luggage on trains

I have never seen anyone using bike locks for luggage on trains. You'd rather alert everyone that your baggage is extremely valuable and worth stealing if you do... Then there is the fun imagination of the key gone missing two minutes before the train arrives at your destination...

Keep valuables and documents with you in your hand luggage or on your body all the time, and don't worry too much about the dirty socks in your suitcase. I have heard of pickpockets on the platform, and of luggage stolen from lockers at stations, but theft on board the train is rare. Train tickets are probably too expensive for the average bag-snatcher.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Stuttgart, Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
14,454 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: luggage on trains

Knowing someone who had a 2000€ laptop stolen from their seat when they used the restroom while their fellow passengers watched, theft can occur anywhere although it probably isn't too likely. It's best to keep your luggage in the racks above your seat. And if you can't do that, have it in a place where you can keep watch on it, especially during stops if you leave it by the door. How easy it would be for someone to grab your luggage and exit the train just before the doors close.

San Jose, California
Destination Expert
for California
Level Contributor
15,251 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: luggage on trains

Just about everybody I know who has had something stolen from a train, had the item stolen while the train was at a station - I don't personally know anyone who has had something stollen in Germany though, so I don't think it is that common. But, anybody can be on the platform when the doors open, reach in, and snag something.

I always keep my luggage within eyesight.

6. Re: luggage on trains

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:16 am, June 20, 2013