We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

HELP with Germany Question

Bel Air, Maryland
3 posts
Save Topic
HELP with Germany Question

I have a question I'm hoping a few people more experienced in travel to Germany can help with. I fly into FRA on Tuesday 4/3 in the Early AM. But I'm not sure how to get where I want to go following that.

Below are my trip plans

Day 1 Tuesday 4/3

Train from Frankfort Airport to Bingen (Stadt is closer but HBF works) -

Rhine Cruise from Bingen up to Koblenz (Get off and on) -Can I buy tickets ahead of time and are the boats even running yet?

Tour Koblenz (Is a guided tour possible) Is Koblenz ok for walking

Train from Koblenz to Cologne

Day 2 Wednesday 4/4

Tour Cologne

Train from Cologne to Frankfort Airport in the evening

I am traveling with my wife and twins aged 22 Months. Any help you could provide would be appreciated

Thank you!!!!!

Houston, TX
Level Contributor
232 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: HELP with Germany Question

I think that is too much for the first day especially with a 22 month old after flight from the USA

Paradise, California
Destination Expert
for Rhineland-Palatinate
Level Contributor
7,120 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: HELP with Germany Question

Not really feasible. The boat ride alone is 4 hours. The train segments will take at least 3.5 hours. You won't have time to see or do much in Cologne even if you drop Koblenz. What are you trying to accomplish, exactly? Are you flying out to somewhere else the next morning and killing 24 hours in Germany? Are you required to return to Frankfurt that same day for some other reason?

Bel Air, Maryland
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: HELP with Germany Question

Thanks everyone for your feedback. To clarify I'm in Germany all day Tuesday (My flights gets in a 6AM) & all day Wendesday (My Flight leaves on Thursday to Dubai).

Russ I have about 48 hours. I'm staying at the Dom in Cologne on day one and the Sheraton Frankfort Airport on Day 2, Right now those are my only set things. I'm just looking to fill the time with fun things to do.

Thank you for your help.

Paradise, California
Destination Expert
for Rhineland-Palatinate
Level Contributor
7,120 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: HELP with Germany Question

OK, I get it now. Here's a plan for you that will work.

Head straight to Cologne on Day 1. Most sights are within walking distance of the main station and the Dom.

Day 2: I suggest after checking out that you take a train to Bingen. You'll see lots of castles between Koblenz and Bingen (no stops in between.) The direct train at 9:18 get you there in 1.5 hours. Stow bags in a locker. Walk or taxi to docks. Take the 10:30 or 11:30 boat north to St. Goar (arriving 11:55 and 12:55, respectively.) This stretch of the river gives you the most intense scenic experience.

In St. Goar: Have lunch, taxi up to Rheinfels Castle for a self-tour. The pokey MRB train leaves St. Goar heading south at 14:20, 15:20, etc. and stops in every town along the way. Catch it to Bacharach (only 10 minutes) and have a look around there for an hour (or two.) Then catch the MRB again (after an hour or two) for your trip back to Bingen (13 min.) This train has a 12-min. stop in Bingen, so jump off, fetch your bags and hop back on the same train on your way south to Mainz, where you change trains for FRA; I imagine the Sheraton will fetch you with their shuttle from there.

Tickets: If you can keep this plan, go to http://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query.exe/en right now for advance-purchase tickets for 2 of the 3 legs...

Tue 4/3: Arrive FRA, customs, have breakfast. 7:58 train to Cologne from the Regionalbahnhof station at the airport is 86€ for two, normal price. You can get adv.- purchase tickets for 39€ right now, but if flight is delayed and you miss the train, you're out the $. You can shop for a later departure too, of course.

Wed. 4/4:

9:18 train Cologne to Bingen is currently 29€ for 2 adv. purchase tix (normal price 64€.) Buy now before price goes up.

Afternoon train from St. Goar - Bingen - Mainz - FRA: Take the regional trains only and pay 32.40 for your ticket (regular price) for two. No need to buy in advance. You can buy this ticket while you're in Cologne or at a ticket machine in St. Goar. With regular tickets, you can travel at any hour and hop on and off - they are not train-specific, and you can travel at the 32.40 price as long as you're riding regional trains. To get itineraries for regional trains, be sure to specify "only local transport" under "means of transport" at the itinerary page above.

Edited: 5:18 pm, March 16, 2012
Paradise, California
Destination Expert
for Rhineland-Palatinate
Level Contributor
7,120 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: HELP with Germany Question

NOTE to OP: I'll have to rethink this plan!

4/4: There's no 10:30 or 11:30 boat from Bingen on 4/4.

Paradise, California
Destination Expert
for Rhineland-Palatinate
Level Contributor
7,120 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: HELP with Germany Question

OK, so you can keep the train plan - the K-D boats (the more popular line) aren't running but you CAN get on the Bingen-Rüdesheimer boat (L2) out of Bingen at 11:15 as of 3/31; you'll probably want to taxi over to the B-R dock from the station since you'll have just 25 min. to stow bags, get there, buy tickets and board.

bingen-ruedesheimer.com/loreleyfahrt/index.h…

Hope this is helpful and not too confusing.

Any questions, please let me know.

Edited: 5:48 pm, March 16, 2012
Paradise, California
Destination Expert
for Rhineland-Palatinate
Level Contributor
7,120 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: HELP with Germany Question

The B-R cruise boat site has a nice visual of the cruise route:

bingen-ruedesheimer.com/rheinlauf/index.html

Bel Air, Maryland
3 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: HELP with Germany Question

Wow your advice is great thank you. I think I'm going take your advice exactly as you have it listed.

I do have a couple of questions though:

1) I arrive at 6:15 AM into FRA and plan to drop my bags except for an overnight bag off at Sheraton. Think I could still make the 7:58 Train?

2) I see the Train leaving Cologne leaving at 9:18 gets into bingen at 10:57 will that give me enough time to cath the L2 @ 11:15?

Paradise, California
Destination Expert
for Rhineland-Palatinate
Level Contributor
7,120 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: HELP with Germany Question

1) My guess is "yes" but it would be wise to contact the hotel for advice. They can probably tell you how many seconds it will take to get from your gate and how to do it most efficiently. Tell them you're going to the "Fernbahnhof" , the FRA station that sends off long-distance high-speed trains, for your trip to Cologne.

If that's not a go, there's storage at the airport (but no train station lockers):

frankfurt-airport.com/content/…storage.html

2) The 9:18 arrives in Bingen at 10:50, not 10:57, according to the schedule. You'll need some coins for the lockers there. With a taxi and no delays (There's normally at least one or two there, IME) you should be OK for 9:15. But train delays aren't unheard of, so for a more relaxed approach, you might want to book the 8:16 and get there at 9:51 and visit a cafe on the way. I think I might do that myself.

BTW: when you arrive back at FRA on 4/4, you'll be at the Regionalbahnhof, not the Fernbahnhof, since you're riding the regional trains. (Fern means distant.)

Edited: 8:03 pm, March 16, 2012
10. Re: HELP with Germany Question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:42 am, June 20, 2013