We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel in short time in and around Germany

Dallas, Texas
3 posts
Save Topic
Travel in short time in and around Germany

My husband and I are planning a trip this fall to Germany. We are only going to be able to stay 8 days but would like to do a lot, Fly into Frankfort,head to Berlin to stay 1 day/night. He would like to travel by high speed trial in to Austria , Switzerland and Amsterdam. Are we being silly or can this be done? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Cologne, Germany
Level Contributor
519 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel in short time in and around Germany

High speed trains between major cities are the fastest way to get around in my opinion. Only for very long distances like Hamburg-Munich a flight would be more appropriate. What cities are you planninig to visit?

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Stuttgart, Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
14,337 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel in short time in and around Germany

Let's see. You've mentioned 5 places in 8 days, many of them in completely different directions. What are you planning to do, enjoy the interior of cars, trains and planes? When are you going to have the time to visit the cities and countries that you mention? In and around most places in Europe will easily be a week or two, if not months' worth, of excellent things to see and do. Germany alone has over 30,000 castles and palaces. How much of a country do you think you can actually visit in a day or two, possibly a small part of a major city.

"He would like to travel by high speed trial", I take it that is a typo, but it would be a trial. Do you know how little you see from such a train that spends much of its time in tunnels or the bottom of ditches with opaque sound barriers when they are above ground as residents along the tracks don't like to hear the trains.

If your main goal is to visit Berlin, fly their immediately, and then take at least enough time to somewhat adequately visit it (most people recommend at least 4 days). Then you'll have time for another place or two. Probably best to head toward Amsterdam, perhaps stopping at a place along the way, and then flying home form there. This is where you might be able to take some high speed trains. (But for me it's only slightly more comfortable than flying, longer, but with worse scenery if it's an uncloudy day.) Otherwise, from Berlin fly to somewhere in or near Austria and Switzerland, spend a few days visiting the Alps, and fly home from possibly Zurich.

I think that I would be inclined to spend all of the rest of the time in and around Salzburg, Austria, as it is one of my favorite towns in Europe, has a lovely ambiance and good cultural sights, and sits literally on the doorstep of both the German and Austrian Alps for some nearby excellent alpine scenery.

Dallas, Texas
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel in short time in and around Germany

I'm still in the researching stage since I have never been to Europe. Places we would love to see . We would fly in to Ffrankfort on American Airlines (not sure if only place non stop) head straight to Berlin to hotel and walk around to see the wall and what ever is close by or within a short train ride. My husband would like to see the Warsteiner brewery which I'm not sure what it is near, Cologne I think? If so stay there one day and also do other things. Not sure what direction that puts us nearv,Amsterdam? If so just one afternoon there and maybe a night train and get a sleeper car to next stop? Here is my idea? Can it be done or what would you leave off? We can always find the favorite places and go back for more of a detail trip. Germany: Berlin,Cologne? Munich? 3 days Amsterdam-just walk the streets for afternoon. Switzerland, Zurich? Stay 1 night/day Austria 1 day/night. What would you recommend.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Stuttgart, Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
14,337 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travel in short time in and around Germany

I have already given by advice. For train information look at www.bahn.com , and if driving www.viamichelin.com . And you might want to look at a good map to see what you are thinking of doing.

Karlsruhe, Germany
Destination Expert
for Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
9,416 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Travel in short time in and around Germany

Is your trip about ticking off a list to say you have been there, or about seeing these places? None of these cities can be seen in one afternoon, and you are clearly underestimating the distances and travel times. Cut down your plan to one third. One night stops are worthless. Besides, you are falling for a typical first timer's mistake: focusing on nothing but huge cities. Many of the most inetresting places are small towns, even countryside locations - especially in Germany where almost all cities and towns have been bombed to rubble in World War II and rebuilt in post-war style with a few reconstructed monuments. Slow down. With such a short trip I'd pick two cities - 3 nights city 1, 3 nights city 2, and 2-3 days for the route between them with stops in a few smaller places.

Larnaka City, Cyprus
Destination Expert
for Larnaka District, Larnaka City
Level Contributor
1,024 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Travel in short time in and around Germany

Unfortunately, you are proposing too many places in too little time ( just consider that arrival and departure dates do not actually count as full days, so this actually leaves you with only 6 days!) I would suggest to concentrate in an area only. Get a guide book and a map to choose from. If you are flying to Frankfurt one possibility would be to visit Baden-Wurttenberg area (Marcopolco could give you thousands of info), and could even combine a side trip to Strasbourg ( that is in France) or do the wine road in Alsace area ( again in France) if you'd like to visit another country. I believe Strasbourg has a TGV connection with Paris ( although again this would be too many places in too little time)

Burbank, California
9 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Travel in short time in and around Germany

Hello! My name is Lesley and I am a Trip Development and Operations Manager for Adventures by Disney. I agree with the posters above and would recommend that you focus on one area, in lieu of multiple countries. It would be quite easy to fly into Frankfurt and travel to Berlin. I would then take the train to Amsterdam and focus your time there. It could potentially take you a full day to travel to Austria or Switzerland from Berlin.

Enjoy your time!

Lesley

8. Re: Travel in short time in and around Germany

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:15 am, June 18, 2013