We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Translation for I am allergic to nuts

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
552 posts
115 reviews
Save Topic
Translation for I am allergic to nuts

I am trying to put together a card for my nut allergy in all different languages to take with me this summer. Can someone please tell me how to say "I have a severe allergy to all kinds of nuts."

Thanks TA friends!

Mokhotlong, Lesotho
Level Contributor
2,618 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Translation for I am allergic to nuts

Ich bin allergisch gegen Nuesse.

However, Germans tend to ignore such statements.

From my personal experience Germany is one of the worst countries for allergy sufferers. I walk from one trap into the next.

Most people are unaware how dangerous it can be for a person just to eat a tiny bit of an item.

Also beware that acc to EU law any possibly harmful ingredient/chemical does not need to be declared if the contentis less than 3 %. This is the trap on labels.

Freiburg im...
Level Contributor
2,576 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Translation for I am allergic to nuts

"I have a severe allergy to all kinds of nuts."

"Ich habe eine ernsthafte Allergie gegen alle Arten von Nuessen"

I hope this will hammer it home, even to those ignorant Germans;-)

DUS
Level Contributor
571 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Translation for I am allergic to nuts

"Ich bin allergisch gegen Nuesse." - is correct by meaning and subject, of course, but leaves out the severeness, mentioned by Nicco.

A more literal translation would be like: "Ich habe eine schwere Allergie gegen alle Arten von Nuessen."

To keep it easy, the english pronounciation of "severe allergy" sounds pretty close to the phonetical German term "schwere Allergie". So it should be not too difficult to get a clue about the subject, even to non english speaking Germans.

I'm a big supporter of pictograms. Why not taking a foto with you, showing some kinds of nuts, crossed out by a big red X ? (following this example, or similar) …fsdn.com/sd/…702-1-thumblg.png

For Germany, Austria, Switzerland you could print out this text:

http://www.purenature.de/pdfmaker/mc_cards.php?daten=alle+Arten+N%FCsse&lg=de

Similar in English:

http://www.purenature.de/pdfmaker/mc_cards.php?daten=all+kind+of+nuts&lg=en

@ jemima:

>> However, Germans tend to ignore such statements. <<

seems to me a pretty tough statement. How can you know this in a population of roundabout 82 million people?

Hopefully the statement at your profile page is not the answer?

>> I don't try to blend in with the local population as I'm from a different culture and background. <<

According to my experience there are traps to nut allergic people in Germany, as same as in other countries as well.

Since a certain number German people are suffering from food allergies, too, the people in general are aware and respectful to this issue, and you will rarely find inapropriate response, if asking questions of concerns, related to your allergy.

In some cases, less educated service stuff (e.g. bakery shops) sometimes may not be able to provide full information about a food product, but in common they are not shy to concede this.

Cheers

KK

P.S.: Oups, 3 min too late, someone was faster ;-)

Edited: 12:40 pm, June 03, 2011
4. Re: Translation for I am allergic to nuts

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:19 am, October 04, 2012