We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

how to buy train tickets (Germany-Austria-Switzerland)

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
39 posts
Save Topic
how to buy train tickets (Germany-Austria-Switzerland)

We are traveling from Munich to Salzburg, Hallstaat, Vienna and to Luzern or Interlaken. What would be the best way to buy train tickets? Is there a website we can get point-to-point tickets all together? I tried bahn.de, oebb, and sbb, but fare was unavailable when the cities did not belong to each country. Any tips will be appreciated!

Thanks!!

Carlsbad, California
Level Contributor
1,216 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: how to buy train tickets (Germany-Austria-Switzerland)

Hi, I came upon this during my search. eurail.com/eurail-passes/…

This allows you to travel within 3 bordering countries and they also have eurail passes for 2 countries.

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
39 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: how to buy train tickets (Germany-Austria-Switzerland)

Thank you for your reply. I am trying to buy tickets without purchasing eurail passes, but I will consider them if point-to-point tickets don't work. :)

Karlsruhe, Germany
Destination Expert
for Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
9,394 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: how to buy train tickets (Germany-Austria-Switzerland)

You need the railway company resp. network of the country where each trip originates. Since your trip involves three countries, you need all three. There isn't one website for all.

Avoid the reselling agencies like Eurail and Raileurope because they don't sell tickets at the original fares but with a surcharge.

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
39 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: how to buy train tickets (Germany-Austria-Switzerland)

I tried Oebb.at for Vienna to Interlaken Ost, but it didn't show anything like price, detailed schedule, etc. Can you give me more specific information about how to book tickets online if it's country-to-country when we don't buy Eurail passes?

Thanks!

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
49,759 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: how to buy train tickets (Germany-Austria-Switzerland)

Did you put in specific dates? I am not exactly familiar, but there might be limits regarding where the train originates and when you can book (too many days before departure or too close to departure).

Many European train operators offer discounted train fares on specific trains (no changes allowed; if you miss your train, go to the ticket counter and upgrade your fare to take the next train) online. I have bought tickets on bahn.com before and I know this sort of fare is also available on Swiss Rail. When you are done with your online purchase, you print out your own ticket and take it to the train.

Edited: 10:03 pm, March 03, 2011
Wichita, Kansas
Destination Expert
for Wichita, Kansas
Level Contributor
4,079 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: how to buy train tickets (Germany-Austria-Switzerland)

Use the group Bayern-Ticket for travel from Munich Hbf or Munich Ostbahnhof to Salzburg Hb. Cost 28 € for up to 5 travelers in 2nd class ONLY on Regional trains after 09:00 on weekdays or any time on weekends.

Salzburg Hb to Hallstatt purchase p2p tickets at Salzburg Hb or Munich. Travel times by Bus or train(s) is about the same but bus is cheaper. Seat reservations only possible on train from Salzburg Hb to Attnang-Puchheim. No savings if purchase in advance online versus purchase at station. Cheaper if purchased at Salzburg Hb as travelers #2 to #5 get 25% discount. Train arrives a lean-to shed along tracks, walk down to dock for ferry across lake to town. Ferry schedule is timed to train arrivals and departures.

No train ticket office at Hallstatt lean-to train stop. Purchase tickets for travel from Hallstatt to Wien [Vienna] at Salzburg Hb. Normal 2nd class fare is 47,50 €. Again discounted fare for travelers #2 to #5. Seat reservations only possible on train from Attnang-Puchheim to Wien.

ÖBB website does offer discounted SparSchiene [green Shamrock] tickets for travel from Wien Westbahnhof to Zürich Hb. Purchase in advance at:

http://www.oebb.at/en/index.jsp

Direct RailJet train departs at 09:14. Normal 2nd class fare is 94 €. SparSchiene tickets at 39 € are limited in number. Definitely make seat reservations for this segment.

Purchase p2p tickets for travel from Zürich Hb to Interlaken Ost at Zürich Hb. There is no discount on tickets purchased from the SBB for travel within Switzerland.

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
39 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: how to buy train tickets (Germany-Austria-Switzerland)

Thank you so much, sammyfloyd & dougb328! For some reason, I didn't see your messages until now and posted a similar message on the forum again. I'd better delete it now. :) Thanks again!

Edited: 10:06 am, March 06, 2011
Florida
Level Contributor
639 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: how to buy train tickets (Germany-Austria-Switzerland)

We have purchased European train tickets on-line with big savings. Last year we purchased 2 tickets from Rome to Venice on the high speed train for only 19 euro each ticket. They are normally 99euro each ticket without a discount. Your problem could be that you are looking at dates after the train schedule changes the middle of June. Here is a very helpful web site instructing you how to buy train tickets for Europe.

www.seat61.com/Europe-train-tickets.htm#How to buy European train tickets online

Memphis, Tennessee
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: how to buy train tickets (Germany-Austria-Switzerland)

Thank you for asking this question joehnn and for all the great comments. My family will be traveling from Regensburg to Salzburg (then from Salzburg to Zurich, Zurich to Fuessen, Fuessen back to Regensburg). This trip will take a total of 7 days, 5 of which will be spent at least partially in traveling between cities.

My husband had his hand on the mouse ready to purchase a Eurail 5 day, 3 country pass when I found this post!

Edited: 6:29 pm, April 24, 2011
Florida
Level Contributor
639 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: how to buy train tickets (Germany-Austria-Switzerland)

I know there are frequent trains from Luzern to Konstanz on the Bodensee and from there you could take the ferry to Lindau and if you look on this site below you will see that Lindau, Fussen, Salzburg are covered on the 29 euro bayern ticket for up to 5 people traveling together from 9am until 3am on weekdays on regional trains. Can begin your at any time on weekends.

bahnland-bayern.de/content-startseite/streck…

To find out more about the bayern or Bavaria ticket go to www.bahn.de and click on laender tickets and then click on bayern ticket. For the train schedules if you want to use a bayern ticket you have to put in trains after 9am where it shows the time and put in traveling only on local trains and then it will give you the schedules and price for all 5 people. Many countries have low priced family tickets. You can go to the individual train web sites for the countries you will be traveling in to check.