We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Don't rent a car from SIXT.....that's all I am saying!

Bonners Ferry, Idaho
Level Contributor
3 posts
107 reviews
Don't rent a car from SIXT.....that's all I am saying!

Whatever you do, DO NOT rent from SIXT rental car! As if their rude staff isn't enough, they will try to charge you for damages to your car long after the return. If you ever have a problem during the rental, they also push it off as your responsibility. The BMW dealer in Rothenburg said SIXT is the worst rental company for them to work with, as well.

Best Seller
Royal Castles of Neuschwanstein and...
4,366 Reviews
from $63.30*
Best Seller
Small-Group Neuschwanstein and...
465 Reviews
from $139.50*
Best Seller
Neuschwanstein Castle Small-Group Day...
1,901 Reviews
from $57.40*
Toronto
Destination Expert
for Tokyo
Level Contributor
25,708 posts
30 reviews
1. Re: Don't rent a car from SIXT.....that's all I am saying!

I booked a BMW3 class at SIXT in Berlin, got a Mercedes E instead at no additional cost. They also resolved a tiny billing issue by email after I got home. Wouldn't hesitate to use them again. (I did in Amsterdam, also great experience.)

If you can't read/understand the terms+conditions of a rental contract, don't rent a car.

Bonners Ferry, Idaho
Level Contributor
3 posts
107 reviews
2. Re: Don't rent a car from SIXT.....that's all I am saying!

I agree, their cars are nice and I, too, got a nice upgrade. But, you obviously didn't have them try to bill you for damage to a car that was returned undamaged, not to mention their alleged damage was discovered 8 days after I returned it. Fortunately, I took photos of every aspect of the car when I dropped it off.

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Tokyo
Level Contributor
25,708 posts
30 reviews
3. Re: Don't rent a car from SIXT.....that's all I am saying!

Pictures prove nothing. Anyone can take pictures and back date them to Jan 1, 2000, or photoshop. You didn't do that but that will be the argument if they choose to use it. You are not willing to tell the whole story on here so it is just a story with no substance.

Edited: 2:20 pm, December 01, 2010
Stuttgart, Germany
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
8,489 posts
90 reviews
4. Re: Don't rent a car from SIXT.....that's all I am saying!

I haven't had any problems with them, though I am a bit wary about they way they list damage. I much prefer the old fashioned diagram of a car with x mark for damage.

If you are having a problem with them you might try posting(with some detail) on the Sixt forum at flyertalk, there are some active and helpful members of Sixt management on there. Good Luck

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
61,265 posts
171 reviews
5. Re: Don't rent a car from SIXT.....that's all I am saying!

You should always get your car inspected by the rental company and your final invoice when you return the car. If they still charged you anything additional after you have done that, then you have a legitimate complaint.

Whatever else you have experienced during your rental (lack of roadside service, etc), most rental car companies are probably using the same business practices these days.

Luxembourg
Level Contributor
5,959 posts
30 reviews
6. Re: Don't rent a car from SIXT.....that's all I am saying!

Maybe this is an opportunity to start a Rent-a-dent business.

Stuttgart, Germany
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
8,489 posts
90 reviews
7. Re: Don't rent a car from SIXT.....that's all I am saying!

In my experiance in Germany ,Sixt do not and will not check the car on return and give an immediate invoice. It is checked later and the invoice posted.

Also on pickup I am always told it doesn't matter for small scratches etc.. Makes me nervous but no problems so far

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Tokyo
Level Contributor
25,708 posts
30 reviews
8. Re: Don't rent a car from SIXT.....that's all I am saying!

it's a ploy to get you to buy their overpriced CDW. North American visitors can use free coverage provided by certain premium credit cards. others can obtain similar annual or per trip insurance from online insurance sites, usually based in the UK.

Bonners Ferry, Idaho
Level Contributor
3 posts
107 reviews
9. Re: Don't rent a car from SIXT.....that's all I am saying!

That is exactly how my experience went, too. They would not go look at the car, only one person working in the place. And only after I insisted several times on a receipt was I given one. I asked three times for a receipt, including in German, so there wasn't a communication issue. She kept saying it will automatically charge you, no receipt needed.

techy21mpls
Level Contributor
4 posts
7 reviews
10. Re: Don't rent a car from SIXT.....that's all I am saying!

Don't use this company. We reserved a car at a discounted rate, when we went to pick up the car our class was not available so we were given a smaller car at a higher rate!!! The woman behind the counter could only give us the listed rate for the car. We were very upset but had no other choice but to take the car. When I contacted them they apologized and said that was the best rate available. If that was the case then just charge me for the other car at the lower rate. Nope they can't do that. This company is a rip off and they use deceptive marketing!!! Do not use this company!!!!!