We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Any suggestion for the trip in north of Germany?

Hsinchu, Taiwan
Level Contributor
61 posts
Save Topic
Any suggestion for the trip in north of Germany?

Hi all, we plan to go Denmark by May next year, mainly in Demark, plan to take the train between Robdy and Puttgarden, will it still work before mid. of 2011 (I mean go on the sail)?

Now, I am thinking that maybe go to visit the north of Germany then go back to Ribe (Denmark). Is there any must see in the north of Germany? If not so much, maybe we will change mind to go back Rodby after Puttgarden and not through the north of Germany.

Thanks for any suggestion!!

Hamburg, Germany
Level Contributor
569 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Any suggestion for the trip in north of Germany?

Hamburg, Luebeck are very close to Denmark, both havin train links. Hamburg is Germany second largest city with lots of nightlife and other attractions. Luebeck has a historic old town which takes a day to visit. Luebeck is on the train line to Puttgarden and Rodby from Hamburg,

Other than that the boath coastlines are worth a visit, but if you are going to Denmark afterwards, you might skip them.

Berlin is also not too far away, high speed trains from hamburg take less than 2 hours.

Why do you want to go to Puttgarden?

Edited: 2:36 am, November 03, 2010
Hsinchu, Taiwan
Level Contributor
61 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Any suggestion for the trip in north of Germany?

Hi, thanks for ur information.

Puttgarden is not the destination since I have no idea about the north of Germany.

By the way, which way will be the best to go through the north of Germany? by taking the train or renting a car? I will take my 2 kids (7 and 9 yrs old) with me.

Thanks again!

Hamburg, Germany
Level Contributor
569 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Any suggestion for the trip in north of Germany?

You can take trains or rent a car.. Taking trains might be more relaxed than driving with kids in an unknown country. If you take only regional trains, train travel is very cheap. Long distance trains are cheaper of booked ahead.

Frequent trains go from Hamburg to Copenhagen. They either run via Flensburg, Kolding (close to Ribe) and Odense or via Luebeck, Puttgarden and Rodby. Hamburg is major transportation hub so you can easily reach most parts of Germany from there.I think there are also connections from Berlin to Copenhagen via Sassnitz.

As I said, Hamburg and Luebeck are close to Denmark. Bremen and Berlin are also short train rides away. More historic cities worth a visit are Schwerin and Lueneburg. The coast is nice but in May it should be to cold for swimming.

You should clarify how far away you want to travel and how many days you plan to travel around in Germany. Above all, you should take your kids to Legoland in Billund/Denmark. I loved that place as a kid.

North Dakota
Level Contributor
452 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Any suggestion for the trip in north of Germany?

Hello:

What interests do you have? I was in Mecklenburg during September. Visited Wismer, Rostock, Warnemuende and Schwerin. This is a very nice area. We were researching family heritage so our itinery was very busy.

LTTT

Hsinchu, Taiwan
Level Contributor
61 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Any suggestion for the trip in north of Germany?

Hi, we plan to stay in Denmark + Germany for 1 month, we will go to LEGOLEND definitely. Actually, it's the dominant purpose of this trip.

Is there anything fun for kids in Lubeck, Hamburg, and Flensburg?

I don't like too big and busy city, maybe I will skip Hamburg.

I saw there is a beautiful castle close Flensburg, named Glucksburg, how can I reach there? By bus from Flensburg?

Is there IC train to Flensburg? It seems quite difficult for me to search a train on DB website.

Thanks again for your kindly help!

Hamburg, Germany
Level Contributor
569 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Any suggestion for the trip in north of Germany?

Luebeck has a charming old town. As kids don't know the history of the place I'm not sure if the like it that much as adults will.

However, take a look at:

www.luebeck-tourism.de/index.php…

Hamburg has a lot of places to go with kids.

hamburg-tourism.de/en/…

Don't know about Flensburg as I habe nerver been there. The castle can be reached by bus only. Note that you can change the language on bahn.de . It also shows connections to Denmark.

Hsinchu, Taiwan
Level Contributor
61 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Any suggestion for the trip in north of Germany?

Thanks again!

By the way, from DB website, which station in Lubeck I should choose to if I would like to go to the the historic town? Is it far from the station to the old town? Is there shuttle bus for the connection?

Thanks for your all information!

Hamburg, Germany
Level Contributor
569 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Any suggestion for the trip in north of Germany?

It's Luebeck Hauptbahnhof (Hbf) for the old town. You can walk from there, it's 500m at the most.

Munich, Germany
Level Contributor
3,565 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Any suggestion for the trip in north of Germany?

If you have a car then you can see parts of north germany away from sunny hamburg. The northern coast has areas of protected national park chunks called 'wattenmeer'. Look on google between Norden and Wangerode. Just above there is a chain of islands that many germans use for their summer beach holidays. Its East Friesland (Ostfriesland) and has a very 'Dutch' feel to it. Wilhelmshaven is a depressing former industrial town but just north is Hooksiel a very pleasant small harbour town. So anywheer along the coast between Hooksiel and Emden and north of the motorway (A31) is very nice and flat.

Hamburg has a nice tourist centre but to me its a large city thats grey and bleak.

Bremen is a very nice smaller city with enough to do for a day.

Oldenburg is a dead town. Grey and miserable.

You can catch a ferry or small plane to the island of Helgoland (a red island version of Orkney).

The cats between Wilhelmshaven, Cuxhaven, Bremerhaven and Hamburg is very industrial.

The areas around Lueneburg and Luebeck is very scenic and Luebecks famous 'gate' used to be on one of the old German Mark banknotes.

The area west of Flensburg and Kiel on the coast is called 'Sylt', again a german beach destination (Boris Becker is often photographed there).

In former eastern germany i am not as familiar up this way but the area called @Ruegen' is a very nice area.

Hope you get more input than to stay in Hamburg.

Any other questions drop me a line. I'm German,

10. Re: Any suggestion for the trip in north of Germany?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, May 05, 2011