We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Southern Germany Itinerary

NJ
Level Contributor
31 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Southern Germany Itinerary

We will be traveling to Germanyin October. We have approx 11 days. Please give me your opinions on this intinerary. Our main interest is to see some cities as well as country side and scenic drives.

Day 1 Arrive Munich

Day 2 Munich (side trip to Dachau)

Day 3 Nuremberg

Day 4 Rothenburg

Day 5 Baden- Baden

Day 6 Strasburg

Day 7 Frieburg

Day 8 Lake Constance

Day 9 Fussen

Day 10??

Day 11 or 12: depart from Munich

I haven't been able to figure out if driving or taking trains would be a better idea/more cost effective. Perhaps doing both? Is this a reasonable time frame?

Colorado Springs...
Level Contributor
4,867 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Southern Germany Itinerary

Too many places, too far apart, in too few days.

First: Have you booked your flights already? If not, consider booking an "open jaw". Fly into Frankfurt, leave from Munich (or Zuerich).

If you were to take the train, you would be zig-zagging all over the country, because some of the places you want to visit don't have point-to point direct connections. Consider renting a car.

From Frankfurt drive on the day of your arrival as far as Rothenburg. Skip Nuernberg. Spend 2 nights i( one full day) in Rothenburg, visit a couple of places outside of town, such as Creglingen.

From Rothenburg drive to the Burgenstrasse (castle route) along the Neckar river and on to Heidelberg and on to Strasbourg. Specifically, from Heidelberg take the Autobahn A-5 south to the Kehl- Strassburg exit.

Skip Baden-Baden.

Spend 1 night in Strasbourg; in the afternoon of the second day drive to Freudenstadt in the Black Forest. Spend the night in Freudenstadt.

The next day wend your way to Meesburg at Lake Constance (Bodensee), touring some of the nice back roads of the Black Forest. The pretty parts of this region are the valleys; the "forest" is nothing to brag about. In fact, there has been considerable tree damage due acid rain.

Spend 2 nights in Meerbsurg, taking the car ferry across the lake to the Insel Mainau (an island that is one huge botanical garden, with its obligatory little palace) and return to Meersburg .

Drive along the nortb shore of the lake to Lindau. Spend a little time visiting this delightful island city, then drive to Fuessen. If that appeals to you, I'll give you a specific scenic routing.

2 nights in Fuessen.

Drive to Munich, via GarmischPartenkirchen (possibly trip up to the top of the Zugspitze by cog railway and/or cabkle car). get rid of your car in Munich. Dachau can be reached by S-Bahn sub-urban train. If you have one more day left, do a day-trip by train either to Salzburg, or to Prien and visit King Ludwig's palace on an island in the Chiemsee..

If you return from Zuerich, I can give another routing, essentially reversing some of the trip so that you wind up in Strasburg before Zuerich.

NJ
Level Contributor
31 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Southern Germany Itinerary

Thanks for the great advice! I have considered flying in and out of 2 seperate airports but unfortunatly it is 2 to 3 times the price of flying in and out of the same airport.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
3,433 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Southern Germany Itinerary

Agree that you are trying to do far too much. Too bad about the open jaws expense. We flew open jaws last year into Frankfurt and back out of Munich and it actually was less than flying in and out of the same airport.

Do look at Zurich though since, historically, when I've looked at airfares its been one of the cheaper airports to fly into.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Stuttgart, Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
14,750 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Southern Germany Itinerary

An open jaw ticket with the same airline should be about half of a round trip to each airport, therefore the average price for them.

NJ
Level Contributor
31 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Southern Germany Itinerary

Treplow- Do you know if Mummel Lake (Mummelsee) is on the route from Strasbourg to Freudenstadt? I can't seem to find the answer anywhere online....

Karlsruhe, Germany
Destination Expert
for Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
9,888 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Southern Germany Itinerary

Mummelsee is on the B 500 between Freudenstadt and Baden-Baden.

Freiburg im...
Level Contributor
2,638 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Southern Germany Itinerary

>Skip Baden-Baden. Spend 1 night in Strasbourg; in the afternoon of the second day drive to Freudenstadt in the Black Forest. Spend the night in Freudenstadt.>

I wouldn't skip Baden-Baden. On the way towards Mummelsee-Freudenstadt-Lake Constance you'd be driving through it anyway and it is (apart from Strasbourg) the most worth seeing place hereabouts. However Freudenstadt is nothing to write home about.

When cruising along the Black-Forest High Road anyway, the tiny lake Mummelsee makes a nice stop-off. But it's not worth a detour.

http://www.black-forest-travel.com/high-road/

black-forest-travel.com/landscape/mummelsee.…

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Stuttgart, Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
14,750 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Southern Germany Itinerary

I kind of hate to add some other things, as you could spend your whole vacation in and around any of the places you mention, and many others along the way. The gorge of the Danube River ( www.donaubergland.de ) through the Swabian Alb ( www.schwaebischealb.de ) is idyllic with many castles and palaces perched atop the cliffs. At Tuttlingen, drive the back roads along the river to Sigmaringen where there is an excellent castle/palace ( www.hohenzollern.com ). From Sigmaringen drive the back roads to Meersburg ( www.meersburg.de ) on Lake Constance, and you will pass several excellent large palaces along the way. Extremely scenic, and not crowded with tourists.

As to Freudenstadt, the pre-WW II pictures of it are lovely with the gigantic square, but on my recent visit I was disappointed as post-war reconstruction has failed to restore the former beauty of this place. The mountains there also aren't anything to write home about.

9. Re: Southern Germany Itinerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, September 24, 2010