We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train Travel from Ramstein Germany to Cortona, Italy

Kuttawa, Kentucky
Level Contributor
168 posts
190 reviews
Save Topic
Train Travel from Ramstein Germany to Cortona, Italy

Hello,

I am having a difficult time understanding the train travel/schedules on the bahn.de website. I found the first trip I needed from Frankfurt airport to Ramstein. However, when I tried to look up trains from Ramstein to Cortona, Italy, it said no routes were available. Is it not possible to travel from Ramstein to Cortona via train?

I am soooo confused.

Thanks!

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
38,173 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Train Travel from Ramstein Germany to Cortona, Italy

http://wikitravel.org/en/Cortona

"Closest train station is "Camucia-Cortona", with direct trains from Florence and Rome or "Terontola-Cortona" with direct trains from Florence and Venice."

Try it for a more recent date. The timetable past 12. June is for some routes in Italy not in the system yet.

Kuttawa, Kentucky
Level Contributor
168 posts
190 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Train Travel from Ramstein Germany to Cortona, Italy

So do I have to take a train from Ramstein to Florence, and then on to Cortona? I will try it again and see what I come up with.

Thanks so much.

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
38,173 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Train Travel from Ramstein Germany to Cortona, Italy

Another option - just to confuse you even more:

Fly with the budget airline Ryanair from (Frankfurt-)Hahn to Rome (Ciampino).

http://www.rynair.com

Please note that Ryanair is very strict on check-in times, overweight baggage etc. Cheap, but a no-frills airline to the extreme.

From Ramstein Shell Autohof A6 (which is closer to Landstuhl than to Ramstein) there are shuttle buses to Hahn airport.

www.scherer-reisen.de/routes/wtc/routes.php…

EUR 11,00. Travel time 1,25 hrs.

From Rome to Terontola-Cortona by train.

EUR 9,40. Travel time 2,25 hrs.

Shuttle bus Ciampino to Roma Termini station: ~ EUR 5

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
38,173 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Train Travel from Ramstein Germany to Cortona, Italy

corrected link to Ryanair

http://www.ryanair.com

Kuttawa, Kentucky
Level Contributor
168 posts
190 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Train Travel from Ramstein Germany to Cortona, Italy

Looks like flying would be much faster. Train schedules showed it taking 12-14 hours to get there. Is that typical?

Kuttawa, Kentucky
Level Contributor
168 posts
190 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Train Travel from Ramstein Germany to Cortona, Italy

Wow, that is cheap airfare!!! I can do round-trip for $52.00. I would think that is cheaper and faster than taking a train.

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
38,173 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Train Travel from Ramstein Germany to Cortona, Italy

> Looks like flying would be much faster. Train schedules showed it taking 12-14 hours to get there. Is that typical?

Concerning the distance, the fact that both are at rather remote locations and that the Alps are in between: yes

Ryanair is champion if it comes to hiding extra fees. You really have to check the conditions and fine prints to avoid bad surprises. E.g. fee for paying with credit card - as a non-local you have however no other choice. Low luggage limit (15 kg) and strict rules. Fee if you not check-in by yourself. Etc. etc.

Kuttawa, Kentucky
Level Contributor
168 posts
190 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Train Travel from Ramstein Germany to Cortona, Italy

I have hit a snag. I was set to purchase a ticket from Ryan Airlines but they do not accept American Express. That is the only card I use. So, do you know if there is another airline that would fly from Frankfurt to Rome that would accept Amex? Thanks!

Mannheim, Germany
Destination Expert
for Zurich, Mannheim
Level Contributor
13,870 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Train Travel from Ramstein Germany to Cortona, Italy

>That is the only card I use.

That might be a problem - Amex is not well accepted in Europe (only in more expensive stores). VISA and Mastercard are the most common ones.

10. Re: Train Travel from Ramstein Germany to Cortona, Italy

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:20 am, November 04, 2009