We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bergen Belsen OR Buchenwald

Ontario, Canada
Destination Expert
for Sudbury
Level Contributor
587 posts
186 reviews
Save Topic
Bergen Belsen OR Buchenwald

Hello,

I am staying in Germany for a few weeks. We would like to visit a WWII concentration camp. The memorial sites of Bergen Belsen and Buchenwald are both about the same distance from where we are staying.

Can anyone recommend one or the other?

Has anyone been to both and have a preference?

I realize most of these camps are destroyed and that the Bergen Belsen Memorial is new. From what I have read it sounds like Buchenwald has more to see - but that may just be because the memorial has been there longer and there is more info.

Any help would be great. Going to be there in June 2009.

Thx!

Best Seller
Royal Castles of Neuschwanstein and...
4,324 Reviews
from $64.60*
Best Seller
Small-Group Neuschwanstein and...
458 Reviews
from $142.40*
Best Seller
Neuschwanstein Castle Small-Group Day...
1,879 Reviews
from $58.60*
Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Berlin
Level Contributor
21,790 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bergen Belsen OR Buchenwald

I've not visited Buchenwald but have visited Bergen-Belsen and also Sachsenhausen near Berlin.

Bergen-Belsen is basically fields with an information centre and memorials, very moving to visit but different (less harrowing) than visiting a camp where some of the buildings remain, as at Sachsenhausen and Buchenwald.

Buchenwald website: http://www.buchenwald.de/index_en.html

Montreal
6 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Bergen Belsen OR Buchenwald

Hi, I have been to both memorials in 2005. Both are very interesting, but you get a much better idea of what the camp was like in Buchenwald. There are still buildings, crematorium, gates, etc. The museum there is richer with information and displays.

Whereas in Bergen-Belsen, it's mostly a large grass terrain with tombstones commemorating mass graves. There is also a museum with artefacts. This was the place where Anne Frank died, if it is of interest to you. Now, it has been 4 years since I went, so I don't know about the new memorial you mention.

You can combine a daytrip to Bergen-Belsen with a trip to the nearby town of Celle. Traditionnal German architecture abounds, it's really a charming town!

Ontario, Canada
Destination Expert
for Sudbury
Level Contributor
587 posts
186 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bergen Belsen OR Buchenwald

Thanks!

toronto
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: Bergen Belsen OR Buchenwald

Did you go to Bergen-Belsen and Buchenwald? We are planning to go there in September and any information you have would be very helpful?

Thanks very much.

5. Re: Bergen Belsen OR Buchenwald

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:18 am, February 08, 2010