We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help with plans for Italy,France, Germany

new york
Level Contributor
1,244 posts
26 reviews
Help with plans for Italy,France, Germany

I am planning on visiting Rome, Florence,Venice, Paris and Germany next summer with my family- what would be the best way to do this flying from NY-start in Germany and work down- I am looking for the most efficient way- we will only have about 2 1/2 weeks. Also what city in Germany would be best to visit given the itinerary.. Thanks to all of you- you have helped so much with my recent trip to Paris- it has given me the confidence to plan this without doing a tour- please be patient!!!!

Paradise, California
Destination Expert
for Rhineland-Palatinate
Level Contributor
7,194 posts
29 reviews
1. Re: Help with plans for Italy,France, Germany

Your itin. sounds fairly fast-paced. I'd suggest a few days in southwest Germany for some R&R between your sidewalk-pounding in those cities you mention. If you fly into Paris and out of Rome, you'll economize on time.

Germany's Mosel River region is sort of between Paris and Italy - look into Trier, Cochem, and Bernkastel there. It's a great place for castles, wine, and old-world towns. You could also make a stop in Heidelberg, Freiburg, or take a trip from there through the Black Forest (via Titisee - pretty route) over to Lake Constance, which borders Switzerland, before crossing the Alps for Italy.

new york
Level Contributor
1,244 posts
26 reviews
2. Re: Help with plans for Italy,France, Germany

I was thinking trains between cities- does that make sense- as you can probably tell- I am clueless!

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
180 posts
275 reviews
3. Re: Help with plans for Italy,France, Germany

Probably the most fexible way would be to hire a car. If you want to take the train depending on age you may be able to get a euro tarin pass - for under 25s normally, that are good value. Depending on budget if you're short on time there a lot of budget euro airlines that can be cheaper than the train/car - depending on route and hoewfar in advance you book. But if you're leaning towards italy then fly to munich - in Bavaria this is one of the most pretty parts of germany - untouched by the wars and without much heavy industry and the Alps. If you like beer visit the gigantic Brauhaus in the centre, plenty of palaces, museums architecture, olympic stadium and less advertised the death camp of Dachau. On a lighter note if you head to the north west of there you get the romantic strasse - and rothenburg ob der tauber has to be seen - a complete walled medieval town - touristy yes but theres not many of them about! Along the swiss border theres the Neuschwanstein castle as seen in chitty chitty bang bang 70s english film?? Around Bavaria there are many other historic towns beautiful alpine scenery and you're well placed to head south to italy.

If you have any queries on anything please get back.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
239 posts
4. Re: Help with plans for Italy,France, Germany

This will be easy to do by train.

Frankfurt International Airport is probably the best for this journey (Frankfurt-Hahn Airport is actually over 2 hours from Frankfurt). What I would suggest is travelling on a day trip along the Rhine, both trains (via Koblenz) and boats from Mainz to Cologne (Koln in German) run. I would suggest train one way and boat the other, the new high-speed ICE train avoid the Rhine.

I would say Munich might be worth visiting. It has castles and lakes and lots of events. Next year is the football (soccer) World Cup in Germany in June and July and you might find it difficult to get accommodation at this time, unless you plan to see the USA competing.

I would suggest visiting Florence before Rome as it is on the main line from Germany via Mannheim and Basel and through Switzerland. You willl need to stay overnight somewhere (unless you take the overnight train and miss all the scenery) and I would suggest either Luzern or Lugano (both have lakes). If you go to Munich you can get the train to Innsbruck and the train (with observation coach) to either Zurich or Basel (Luzern is about an an hour from Zurich). The route from Luzern and Zurich uses most of the same route to Italy. Alternatively there is a train from Munich via Innsbruck and over the Brenner Pass to Florence and Rome.

The journey from Florence (Firenze in Italian) is less than 2 hours by high-speed train (worth the supplement) and from Rome you can travel to Venice (Venezia Santa Lucia) but you might need a change of train. From Venice the best route to Paris is probably via Milan and Lyon.

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Berlin
Level Contributor
22,432 posts
7 reviews
5. Re: Help with plans for Italy,France, Germany

Why are you doing Paris on this trip as well as Germany and Italy? Makes for a big detour and you have so much to see in the other two countries. Save Paris for another trip wd be my suggestion.

I love Black Forest and Lake Constance area but another idea, if you land in Frankfurt, wd be to head down the Romantic Road (Wuerzburg, Rothenburg, Augsburg), sidetrack to Munich if you want then via Garmisch or Fuessen, to Innsbruck and via Brenner on into Italy.

In Italy try and add a few of the smaller towns too. This summer we flew to Treviso near Venice and were very impressed by it. Not so touristy and still impressive villas, picturesque centre etc. Vicenza and Verona (due south of Brenner route) also interesting. Near Florence, Siena is MUST for me and Pisa also worth a look.

new york
Level Contributor
1,244 posts
26 reviews
6. Re: Help with plans for Italy,France, Germany

We wanted to do Paris with the kids because we just got back and thought the kids would love it- my son(18) would love omaha beach and my daughter(16) would love Paris- I thought about axing the Germany part- seems so out of the way but I don't know.

Wichita, Kansas
Destination Expert
for Wichita, Kansas
Level Contributor
4,101 posts
12 reviews
7. Re: Help with plans for Italy,France, Germany

You will not be able to do justice to that may locations in that short of a time. Italy in the summer will be hot and packed with tourist. Save Italy for a visit in the fall.

When I plan a trip to Europe, one of my major considerations is the ease of access between the airport and “downtown”. The easiest are Zürich, Frankfurt, Géneva and Brussels, followed by Heathrow, Rome, and Münich, and lastly Madrid-Barajas, Milan-Malpensa, Paris-Charles de Gaulle and London-Gatwick. I refuse to have to check out of my hotel at 07:30 and miss breakfast just to get to the airport for an 11:30 departure and then wait until 13:00 for the “meal” on the plane home.

My recommendation would be to fly into Paris, then to Normandy, from there straight to Frankfurt and the Rhine, ending in Bavaria and departing from Münich. Travel by train will be much more enjoyable and relaxing than driving by car. One of the numerous train “passes” maybe appropriate but not buy them without doing some research. You may wish to read and comment on the Enduring Questions at: tripadvisor.com/…1431840