We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Drinking water

Detroit
Level Contributor
37 posts
Drinking water

I was told that the water contains lime and we should drink bottled water, is this true? Also, some water is carbonated and some isn't, how can you tell which is which? I would appreciate any responses! Thanks!

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
239 posts
1. Re: Drinking water

German water is fine, but not that in the washrooms on trains. If it is carbonated it should say 'mit gaz', still water will say 'sin gaz' but not always.

cologne germany
Level Contributor
40 posts
2. Re: Drinking water

Sparkling Water - Carbonated is called - Sprudelwasser

Regular Water is called - Stilles Wasser

You can drink the Water here.

I see , your Hometown is Detroit , I think there is no different between the Water in an Large American City , and a German City.

Traintraveller is right do not drink water in a Train , or a Bus . it has no drinking Quality.

Sin Gas is Spanish :-)

Detroit
Level Contributor
37 posts
3. Re: Drinking water

Thank you for your replies! Less than three weeks to go! Thanks again- Blackcat

Peak District...
Level Contributor
1,921 posts
255 reviews
198 helpful votes
4. Re: Drinking water

'Ohne gaz' would be the german version of 'without gas'.

Most tap or bottled water contains some lime, although in Germany, France, Italy (unlike England) there should be a list on the bottle saying how much. Unless you have a medical need to avoid a certain thing like sodium, it is largely a matter of taste. Drink and be merry.

Germany
Level Contributor
123 posts
88 reviews
50 helpful votes
5. Re: Drinking water

The water quality is Germany is excellent although the taste varies from place to place. Restauants do not like to serve tap water and we recently had a waiter refuse to do so. If you don't like carbonation be sure to specify "ohne Kohlensaeure" or "stilles Wasser" and don't be surprised if there is still some carbonation. It's naturally in some mineral waters. And of course never expect any ice cubes. If you request ice they will put one little cube in the glass - maybe.

St. Clair Shores, MI
Level Contributor
47 posts
2 reviews
10 helpful votes
6. Re: Drinking water

I've always drunk the water and never had a problem. I think the Germans are more concerned about their water than we are.

St. Clair Shores, MI
Level Contributor
47 posts
2 reviews
10 helpful votes
7. Re: Drinking water

My advice is mainly for tap water in homes, hotels, and restaurants. I don't think that I need to add that you should use your common sense. If you're at some place that doesn't look that the water is drinkable, don't drink it.