We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

German City Break

5 posts
1 review
Save Topic
German City Break

Hi there,

Myself and my partner are really wanting to go for a German city break but I’m so torn as to which city and I’m going round in circles! It will only be for 3 nights so I don’t want to be anywhere that’s a big trek from an airport etc as time is precious!

Can anyone help with suggestions, scenic and not too much hustle and bustle?

Many thanks,

Zoë

12 replies to this topic
London, United...
Destination Expert
for Berlin
Level Contributor
6,420 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: German City Break

More info please:

- where do you live and which airport is close to you?

- which cities have you been considering?

- what's your budget?

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
18,781 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: German City Break

Frankfurt Airport to city center is 11 min by train and the city has a lot to offer, plus you could do a daytrip to Rüdesheim(1h15min ride) to the Rhine River Valley and do a cruise to see plenty of castles

Naples, Italy
Level Contributor
2,221 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: German City Break

Hi, if you have directs flights from/to your local airport, I would consider Hamburg. A vibrant city, richs in sights without being overwhelming like Berlin or Munich can be, at least in my opinion. I went there only as a day-tripper but was pleasantly surprised. Also I think it's probably one of the few major, culturally relevant European cities not to be crowded with tourists. A true delight perfect for a short trip.

Dusseldorf, Germany
Level Contributor
553 posts
271 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: German City Break

You will have two full days. I would say, any German city with an airport has enough to offer to keep you occupied for 2 days. These are the options:

- Berlin. Two airports, fairly close to the city. An overwhelming aray of attractions.

- München. Airport is an hour away from the city centre.

- Frankfurt. Airport is very close. Many excellent museums. Otherwise, a very modern city.

- Cologne. Airport is fairly close. Full of history. A vibrant city.

- Düsseldorf. Airport is 10 minutes from the city centre. An elegant city, outstanding in art.

- Bremen. Airport is fairly close. Beautiful historic city centre.

- Stuttgart. Airport is fairly close. Two automobile museums (Mercedes Benz, Porsche).

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Berlin
Level Contributor
21,517 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: German City Break

We really don't have much to go on: knowing where you live would be a help, but I am assuming the UK so you may have Nuremberg as an airport option too. That would be good for a short city-break. Dresden would be good too

Berlin needs more time than you have, whereas for the highlights of Munich 3 nights sounds ok. On the other hand, 3 nights might be a bit short for Hamburg too (we spent two and a half days there a couple of years ago, and felt we could have easily filled a couple more days). Bremen is a more "manageable" size for your time-frame

Personally I much prefer Frankfurt to Cologne and Düsseldorf, and a couple of days in Frankfurt sounds good, but you need to check flight option as there is Frankfurt International (FRA), which is situated between Frankfurt and Mainz (so you could stay in either Frankfurt and Mainz, and visit the other). Frankfurt (Hahn) used by Ryanair, is well away from Frankfurt but is good for exploring the Mosel Valley

Edited: 12:49 pm, June 08, 2018
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: German City Break

Thanks for the reply,

From UK and closest major airport to us is Manchester.

Been looking at Stuttgart, Heidelberg and Cologne but the return flight times to Cologne aren’t great, early morning so we’d miss a chunk of our last day!

Budget wise, was looking around 450 hotel and flights.

Zoë :)

5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: German City Break

Thanks Lynda,

Yes from UK, our nearest major Airport is Manchester. Some great suggestions to go on there though. I was looking at Cologne but flight times aren’t great, very early morning etc so we’d miss out on last day. Hadn’t thought of Frankfurt so will look into that!

Zoë

5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: German City Break

Thank you that’s great info!

Much appreciated :)

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Berlin
Level Contributor
6,420 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: German City Break

From MAN you have direct flights to Cologne, Hamburg, Nuremberg, Stuttgart, Berlin, Frankfurt, Dusseldorf, Hannover and Munich.

Of those, I'd probably recommend Nuremberg - it's an excellent little city with loads to see and do, including a restored old town. Good food and drink and excellent museums. The airport is really close to the city so you get lots of time on the ground.

if Cologne appeals apart from the flight times, consider flying back from Dusseldorf - it's not far away by train.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Stuttgart, Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
15,377 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: German City Break

For things to see and do in Stuttgart ( www.stuttgart-tourist.de ) have a look at my posts in the thread https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g18727… . From the Stuttgart Airport ypou can also take a bus in the other direction and easily and quickly be in by far our favorite German town, Tuebingen ( www.tuebingen.de ). We prefer it much more than Heidelberg as it is just quintessential Germany with its half-timbered houses, hilly cobblestone streets, castle, interesting non-tourist shops, one of Germany's oldest universities, and the next door delightful well-preserved medieval Bebenhausen Monastery (in www.schloesser-und-gaerten.de ). Stuttgart for a big city with its attractions and other nearby ones, or Tuebingen for its excellent atmosphere and more of a laid back visit.

Reply to: German City Break
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted