We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Frankfurt, Prague, Vienna, Budapest, and Munich

Alvin, Texas
Level Contributor
13 posts
42 reviews
Save Topic
Frankfurt, Prague, Vienna, Budapest, and Munich

Going to Frankfurt for 15 days with wife and 2 teenagers. I would like to go to visit Prague, Vienna, Budapest, and Munich. Would renting a car be a good idea? Maybe bus or train? Thank you for your advise

Mentioned in this post
Frankfurt
Frankfurt
Hesse, Germany
Prague
Prague
Bohemia, Czech Republic
Vienna
Vienna
Vienna Region, Austria
Budapest
Budapest
Central Hungary, Hungary
Munich
Munich
Upper Bavaria, Germany
3 replies to this topic
SaarLouis, Germany
Level Contributor
434 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Frankfurt, Prague, Vienna, Budapest, and Munich

I hope you are not trying to squeeze all these destinations into a 15 days itinerary - do you mean you are staying in Frankfurt for 15 days and then visiting the other towns? These are not exactly day trips from Frankfurt.

In general, if visiting cities in central Europe (as opposed to rural areas), you do not need a car. It may be a cheaper choice for 4 people if the car is returned in the same country where you picked it up, but less comfortable than a train. Check train schedules on bahn.com - but I suggest re-considering your choice of destinations if you only have 15 days. There is a lot to see closer to Frankfurt than Budapest or Vienna...

Mentioned in this post
Frankfurt
Frankfurt
Hesse, Germany
Europe
Europe
World
Budapest
Budapest
Central Hungary, Hungary
Vienna
Vienna
Vienna Region, Austria
Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Berlin
Level Contributor
21,517 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Frankfurt, Prague, Vienna, Budapest, and Munich

That's a lot of major destinations for your time frame. I think dropping one would make it less of a whirlwind. Train will be quicker than driving, but it's still a lot of ground to cover. bahn.com gives you timetables

Do you fly home from Frankfurt too? That means spending the last night back in Frankfurt.

Obviously it depends on everyone's interests but I'm surprised that Berlin (which these days has a reputation as a "cool" destination) wasn't on the list, although Prague/Vienna/Budapest ("The imperial cities") is a common combination. In fact we did it for our honeymoon, on an organised tour (this was back in 1991 when tourism was less developed especially in Prague and Budapest) , starting and ending in Prague, and the trip lasting two weeks.

Mentioned in this post
Frankfurt
Frankfurt
Hesse, Germany
Berlin
Berlin
Germany
Prague
Prague
Bohemia, Czech Republic
Vienna
Vienna
Vienna Region, Austria
Budapest
Budapest
Central Hungary, Hungary
Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Berlin
Level Contributor
21,517 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Frankfurt, Prague, Vienna, Budapest, and Munich

I suggest getting the family's input on this too.

How old are the teenagers (13 to 19 is quite a range), and what kind of holidays/vacations do you enjoy? This itinerary suggests an interest in history and visiting ancient buildings and museums. That is how we spent most of our holidays with our son through his teen years but I have to say that some friends used to be surprised that he found it enjoyable!

Edited: 5:40 pm, June 06, 2018
Reply to: Frankfurt, Prague, Vienna, Budapest, and Munich
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted