We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Requirement Winter tyres in Europe

Bengaluru, India
8 posts
Requirement Winter tyres in Europe
Save

Hi,

We are visiting Europe between sept-15 and Oct-15. We plan to rent a car and probably drive in the following countries.

France, Belgium, Netherlands, Germany, Switzerland and Italy.

Do any of these countries require us to have (between Sep-15 to Oct-15) in the car:

1. Winter tyres?

2, Snow chains? (for may be drive from Switzerland to Italy??)

3. If winter tyres are needed, then is it ok to fix 'all weather' tyre instead?

Regards,

Anantha

Munich, Germany
Destination Expert
for Munich
Level Contributor
6,307 posts
50 reviews
33 helpful votes
1. Re: Requirement Winter tyres in Europe
Save

for those dates there'll be no snow except really really really really high places where you cannot drive a car anyhow (i.e. glaciers, top of highest mountains in the continent) , so its not an issue.

Champlon, Belgium
Level Contributor
16,175 posts
7 reviews
4 helpful votes
2. Re: Requirement Winter tyres in Europe
Save

There may be snow on the high passes in October, just use the tunnels instead. We normally use winter tyres from the end of October to some time in April (or possibly the end of March).

If you have no experience of driving in snow the highest routes are probably best avoided if snow is likely, whatever tyres, etc, you have on your car.

Frankfurt, Germany
Level Contributor
20,117 posts
56 reviews
57 helpful votes
3. Re: Requirement Winter tyres in Europe
Save

If you need winter tires by law, the rental agency will rent you a car with winter tires. That's about it. I would not worry about it to much

Champlon, Belgium
Level Contributor
16,175 posts
7 reviews
4 helpful votes
4. Re: Requirement Winter tyres in Europe
Save

"If you need winter tires by law, the rental agency will rent you a car with winter tires." BUT only if the rental agency was located in one of the countries which require winter tyres, otherwise they will (usually) fit winter tyres at your request but charge you a huge (and I mean huge) supplement for it. But you have no worries for your dates providing you avoid any high passes which have snow lying (there will alway be warning signs).

Frankfurt, Germany
Level Contributor
20,117 posts
56 reviews
57 helpful votes
5. Re: Requirement Winter tyres in Europe
Save

Well, the question was asked in the German Forum, so I would assume the question was asked for renting a car in Germany.

Champlon, Belgium
Level Contributor
16,175 posts
7 reviews
4 helpful votes
6. Re: Requirement Winter tyres in Europe
Save

But the OP specifically mentions France and Belgium as the first two countries in his list. Neither will have winter tyres fitted to a hire car as a norm - even though over half of all Belgian motorists do go to the bother of fitting them every winter.

Bengaluru, India
8 posts
7. Re: Requirement Winter tyres in Europe
Save

Thanks @munich_wanderer, @becasse and Alex90028 (Again :))

By your answers and given that it would be autumn in most of Europe during our planned visit, i feel confident about not getting winter tyres fitted.

The reason why I asked was, like becasse mentioned, the car rentals charge a bomb to fit winter tyres on demand according to the information on websites.. sometimes to an extent of 15-30 Euros PER DAY!

Alex: I missed to mention that I would be picking the car from Paris most probably!

Thanks again

8. Re: Requirement Winter tyres in Europe

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity.

What are forum guidelines?
© 2022 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in the United States. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.