We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Raw pork (Hackpeter) found in all supermarkets in Germany?

New York City, New...
3 posts
Save Topic
Raw pork (Hackpeter) found in all supermarkets in Germany?

Is raw pork, called Hackpeter in certain regions, found in all German supermarkets? I am particularly interested in Northern Germany.

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
19,595 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Raw pork (Hackpeter) found in all supermarkets in Germany?

It has to be fresh, so supermarkets with a butcher might have it., I am not sure if it is popular in northern Germany. I know here in Frankfurt you get it at a lot of places, best at the Farmers market. Just go to a butcher, either Supermarket or a local store.

New York City, New...
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Raw pork (Hackpeter) found in all supermarkets in Germany?

At butcher shops is it ready to eat?

Karlsruhe, Germany
Destination Expert
for Baden-Wurttemberg, Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
11,048 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Raw pork (Hackpeter) found in all supermarkets in Germany?

Of course you find minced meat everywhere. However, as you want it for raw eating, I would not buy the packed stuff from a supermarket fridge but have it minced on the spot in a butchery. It must be stored cold and consumed on the same day, as freshly as possible.

Hackepeter is a regional word. The standard terms are Hackfleisch or Mett. Jokingly it is also known as Maurermarmelade (masons' jam).

Some butcheries even sell Mettbrötchen, rolls with minced meat ready for eating.

Frankfurt, Germany
Level Contributor
5,611 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Raw pork (Hackpeter) found in all supermarkets in Germany?

Actually, it is really common in Northern Germany. Most larger supermarkets (REWE, Edeka etc) have a butcher inside where you can get it. And as said above, many butcher shops (outside supermarkets) and quite a few bakeries will be happy to prepare fresh Mettbrötchen.

Hackepeter or Mett are the terms you can use. I always use the latter and it is probably easier to pronounce for you (simply like "met").

Hackfleisch is not the same thing, by the way.

5. Re: Raw pork (Hackpeter) found in all supermarkets in Germany?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, May 16, 2018