We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

things to do in Lyon

Ayr, Scotland
2 posts
Save Topic
things to do in Lyon

I am planning a trip too Lyon, could anyone suggest any places of interest and any good restraunts.

France
1 post
Save Reply
1. Re: things to do in Lyon

Plizzz welcome in Lyon...

Allow me to introduce, Markus, French inhabitant of Lyon.

Is there any places to visit here ? Of course, there're plenty ! Do you know how many days you'll be there ? Will you have a car there ?

What kind of visit does interrest you ? (sightseeing or museum, new buildings, old ones ? etc).

I have an exemple for a one-day visit, without any museum :

=> Morning :

Victor Hugo street, Bellecour place, Republic street, Opera place & opera...

Terreau place, "montée de la grande côte" ... lunch in Croix Rousse

=> Afternoon :

La Tourette street, plant's garden and its ruins, Fist arrondissement place, St Paul bridge, Notre Dame de Lange climb (montée de), Fourvière, Antiquaire Street, gallo-roman teaters, Montée du chemin neuf, and then visit the old-town of Lyon 5... And dinner there (plenty of very enjoying typical restaurants, many pubs - even english ones).

Enjoy...

UK
Level Contributor
2,163 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: things to do in Lyon

Lots to see & do - www.lyon-france.com is the tourism site & will give you plenty of ideas.

Make sure you take the funiculaire up to the Notre Dame de Fourviere, it's spectacular & the views over the city are amazing.

AZW
Glasgow, Scotland
5 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: things to do in Lyon

My partner is from Lyon so I know the city well. The best guide is written by 'Routard'- it's in french and I'm sure you can buy it on-line.

One of my favourite things to do is to visit old Lyon- take a guided walking of the traboules from the tourist office- it's really fascinating. It is also worth taking a tour of the painted walls which are really incredible!

In terms of food- you are in the perfect place. For well priced, good honest cooking you can't beat the 'bouchons' - try any of them on Rue Mercerie on the Presqu'ile. There is one that I forget the name of but at xmas it looks so atmospheric from the street with lots of little fairy lights and pine garlands, it is very narrow, with two levels and seems to have a small lane running through the middle. I'm pretty sure it is one of the 'Vrai Bouchons' which are certified.

Also, don't miss a trip to Les Halles to see the amazing regional produce of France- it's fabulous and a great place to buy all kinds of food and drink gifts.

The other classic thing to do is to go to Bernachon for a hot chocolate and a small plate of chocolates to eat as you drink- hmm- it's great!

Outside Lyon it is worth visiting Perouges which is a walled villages and the Pierre Doree areas. All of the area is beautiful and there are so many places worth losing yourself for an afternoon.

4. Re: things to do in Lyon

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:19 pm, August 18, 2009