We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

paris to lyon - and on to Nice

Which Lyon hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Ontario's Near...
Level Contributor
261 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
paris to lyon - and on to Nice

We will be travelling to France in September - will be travelling by train from Paris to Lyon - one night stay and then travelling to Nice. We would like to stay in the Old part of town - any suggestions of which hotel - and what train station do we arrive in that would be close to the hotel. Should I book train tickets now (to Lyon and to Nice) or wait till we arrive in Paris. I have been reading so much material that I feel like I am going into a brain freeze moment - so any help would be appreciated!

Lyon, France
Destination Expert
for Lyon
Level Contributor
3,762 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: paris to lyon - and on to Nice

TGV trains require a reservation and have the exact same booking system as air transportation. So to get the best prices you have to book as early as you can (sales opening is 90 prior the train ride date).

That is to say that you should buy your tickets as soon as possible!

Regarding hotels there are a lot of recommendations already. May I suggest that you browse the forum first and then come back for further advice?

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
84,588 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: paris to lyon - and on to Nice

It would be helpful if you could amend your profile to show your country of residence. The best way of buying train tickets varies depending on where you live.

Ontario's Near...
Level Contributor
261 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: paris to lyon - and on to Nice

Thanks for suggestions - updated my profile - now will start looking at hotels in Lyon - we want to stay near the "Perche" train station

Le Bugue, France
Level Contributor
14,097 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: paris to lyon - and on to Nice

Do you mean Perrache? Most TGVs come into Part-Dieu, and I believe most TGVs going on south will also go out of Part-Dieu.

Ontario's Near...
Level Contributor
261 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: paris to lyon - and on to Nice

Yes I did mean Perrache - will have to check the schedule

Montelimar, France
Level Contributor
1,195 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: paris to lyon - and on to Nice

Even though most TGVs come to Part Dieu ,as a commuter, I can assure you there are regular Tgvs and Ouio tgvs to Perrache as far as I can see .From Part Dieu it is easy to catch the tram (direction Montrochet) to get to Perrache and even easier to take any train calling at both train stations.I noticed some TGVs calling at both.What I try to explane is that having a ticket to Lyon,you can take any train going to Perrache from Part Dieu without additional fee.

I haven't got much info about hotels but I know there are several on Cours Charlemagne very close to Perrache.

Montelimar, France
Level Contributor
1,195 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: paris to lyon - and on to Nice

Sorry, I mean OUIGO tgvs

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
367 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: paris to lyon - and on to Nice

I'm leaving this week and I will do the same itineray than yours. Paris to Lyon, Lyon to Nice by TGV. I bought a 3 day pass a few months ago with a special price for the first class. I will have one trip left on the pass maybe we will go to Avignon from Lyon. It is better to buy as soon as possible. In Lyon, we will arrive directly in Perrache but to go to Nice, the TGV leave from Part Dieu but there is a train from Perrache to Part Dieu. I will stay at Residence Hotel, price is good and there is triple room, very near from Perrache train station and Bellecour. Good planning!

Le Bugue, France
Level Contributor
14,097 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: paris to lyon - and on to Nice

You bought a "pass?" Like a Eurrail Pass? If so, that was a really bad decision. moneywise.

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
9 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: paris to lyon - and on to Nice

Help please. I am traveling to France in August from south Texas where high speed train travel, (or any kind of train travel) is not an option so I am completely clueless about the entire process, from which train to take from CDG to Lyon, where to get on, where to get off, what to do with my luggage getting on and getting off, how to get from CDG to the correct station and what to do when i get there and then what to do on the the Lyon end when I get off to get to my hotel. I travel frequently in US, but speak no French unfortunately (it's Spanish mostly in this neck of the USA woods). IS there a book or website (Train travel in France for beginners?) out there that will explain it all to me in detail? I have read many of these forums, but none that I've read so far gives me the exact information I am looking for. I am really looking forward to this adventure and just want to do it right!